I’m a Siberian Husky. Yes, I know I’m quite handsome. Thank you. My thickly coated, durable breed was bred for great endurance. We function best in Arctic conditions where we often work in packs, pulling light loads on sleds over vast distances. We are remarkably adaptable and can withstand temperatures as low as 60 degrees below Fahrenheit. Our lush fur also insulates us from the heat. For those of us that do live in warmer climates, it’s important not to over-exercise us and to provide us with plenty of water and lots of shade.
At top speed, we can run 28 miles per hour. Pretty impressive, huh? Add to that our incredible endurance, and we can run for hours, covering about 150 miles in one day. Whew!
We are of medium height, typically measuring 20 to 24 inches and weighing from 35 to 60 pounds. Oh yeah, and we’re known for our unusual eyes. Though blue eyes are a dominant trait in our breed, we can also have one blue and one brown eye. I know, weird, right. This is known as heterochromatism.
But please don’t mistake us for the Alaskan Malamute. We are considered more outgoing, intelligent, free-spirited, and healthier than our larger cousins. And, if you ask me, a lot more fun.
Here are some fun facts you may not have known about us:
- During the winter of 1925, one of our sled teams delivered lifesaving medicine to Nome, Alaska during a diphtheria outbreak. A Husky named Balto led the team of dogs, who traveled well over 600 miles in treacherous conditions in just five and a half days. There’s even a bronze statue honoring the legendary Balto in New York’s Central Park. He’s my hero!
- During World War II, we were used by the US Army to transport provisions, medicine, and mail.
- We also served in the Army’s Arctic Search and Rescue Unit of the Air Transport Command and in the Byrd Antarctic expeditions.
Hollywood loves us, too. In fact, there was a 1995 animated film based on Balto. Such a good movie. “Iron Will” is a live-action adventure film that’s also based on real life: about the 522-mile dog-sled race between Winnipeg, Canada and St. Paul, Minnesota that occurred in 1917. “Oh yea, and “Snow Dogs” was also a pretty cool movie, too.
Regardless, we can get into some pretty good mischief. Just check out the pictures of some of my brothers and sisters below.
1 “Hey, guys! New game. Let’s play sled dog. Okay. Our sled is filled with urgent medical supplies, and our mission is to get them to sick people as quickly as possible. Of course we make it on time and save all of the people. I get to be Balto!”
2. “I am getting so good at this. Patty Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake baker’s man; Bake me a cake as fast as you can; Pat it and prick it and mark it with “B”; Put it in the oven for baby and me! Yay! Again?”
3. “Mom! Mom! Come quick! I just made an igloo out of leaves! You’ll love it. It’s just like the old country.”
4. “Please hurry and take the picture. Jamie’s about to slide off the mound, and I don’t think I can hold it for that much longer.”
5. “I got it! I got it!
“No, I got it!”
“No, me. Snf. Snif. It’s under here!”
6. “We did it. We all got in here.”
“Do you think we can fit in one more?”
“Sure. We just need to squeeze in tight, like this.
7. “Hey! That’s not fair! You surprised me from behind. Do over!”
8. “Okay. What do you guys think of this song…”Dashing through the snow…” C’mon. Join me!”
“Not that song again.”
“He never tires of it.”
9. “I think this is my best side. What do you think? Be honest! Of course, I don’t think I have a bad side. Lol!”
10. “Look deep into my eyes. No, deeper. Mesmerizing, aren’t they?”
11. “This is really pretty and all, but we’d take a good snowscape over this flowery stuff any day.”
12. “This lighting is so perfect for me. Look how my eyes sparkle. I’m definitely using this one as my profile pic for Instagram.”
13. “I don’t think she saw me take this. If I chew very quietly, she’ll never know…until it’s too late. Heh, heh
14. “Hm? Me? Nothing. Just minding my own business. Why?”
15. “Looks like we have new neighbors. I wonder if they have a dog we could play with.”
“Yeah. We need some new blood around here. Let’s go over and say, ‘hi.'”
16. “Okay, everyone. Calm down. I found it. Don’t even try to beat me. I’m really good at this game.”
17. “I saw the ball land right here! I did! Is someone playing a trick on me?”
18. “Look into the mirror. I’m definitely making the scariest angry face.”
“Na-ah. My face is much angrier and scarier.”
19. “Ya know? You aren’t half bad for a cat. I want to make you my forever friend. Just stay right there. Good. ”
20. “Let’s go, Frankie! We’re all ready for the Snow Ball, and you’re going to make us late!”
21. “So what do you guys want to do now?”
“I dunno. What do you want to do?”
“I’m cool with hanging out right here.