As a dog that is prone to shedding, I can be quite difficult for my humans to maintain.
We shed our dead fur to make room for our healthy new fur.
While certain breeds of us shed a lot, others shed seasonally and some don’t at all.
Today's Featured Video
Although my humans love me very much, my shedding can be quite frustrating and it can be uncomfortable for me too. If ignored it can even lead to skin complications.
Although brushing me regularly helps to control how much fur I shed, I appreciate a bath from time to time using a special dog shedding shampoo.
A shampoo of this kind has been formulated with ingredients that will reduce how much fur I shed. Most are made with non-irritating ingredients that soothe my skin and moisturize my coat.
Do you have a dog that sheds a lot? If so, I can help you out. My humans have tried out a few different products in the hope of controlling how much fur I shed – some have been more successful than others.
Below, I have reviewed my top 5 favorite dog shampoo products for shedding. I have also included a buyer’s guide with all of my top tips to help you find the best product for your furry companion.
Best Dog Shampoo For Shedding
I love the TropiClean Lime & Coconut Shed Control Shampoo For Pets. It contains naturally derived ingredients that exfoliate and moisturize my skin leaving it cleaner and healthier.
It’s also free from soaps, parabens and dyes so the formulation is safe for my skin. A great thing about this product is that it is not only suitable for us dogs, but it can also be used on puppies and cats.
Applying this product to my coat is super straightforward. My humans wet my coat beforehand before applying the product and massaging it into my fur which feels nice and relaxing.
Then it’s thoroughly rinsed out and once dried, my coat feels moisturized and nourished.
My humans love how my coat smells after applying this shampoo. The lime and coconut scent gets rid of my ‘’doggy’’ smell and leaves my coat with a refreshing scent so I’m looking and smelling much better. It also comes in a 20oz bottle so I can enjoy plenty of baths using this shampoo.
- Affordability – While I love the feeling of this product on my skin, my humans love the affordable price tag.
- Size Availability – this shampoo is available in multiple sizes so there is an option available to cater to different severities of shedding.
- Safety – This product is safe for daily use which is great for us dogs that need regular baths to reduce our shedding and soothe our skin.
- Lathers well – As this product lathers well you don’t need to use a lot on our coats to give us a deeply nourishing clean.
- The longevity of the scent – While the initial scent leaves my fur smelling great, it wears off after a couple of days.
- REDUCES SHEDDING – TropiClean Lime & Coconut Shed Control Dog & Cat Shampoo exfoliates and moisturizes your pet’s skin to reduce shedding and provide a deep nourishing clean, leaving their skin and coat healthy
- REFRESHING SCENT – The long lasting refreshing scent of lime and coconut leaves your pet smelling fresh and ready for cuddles!
- SAFE SOLUTION – Soap Free, Paraben Free and Dye Free. Made with naturally derived ingredients and safe when used as directed on dogs and cats 12 weeks or older
- SHED CONTROL – For best results, use with TropiClean Lime & Cocoa Butter Shed Control Conditioner
- MADE IN THE USA – We proudly manufacture and ship our products with only the highest quality, naturally derived ingredients.
One of my favorite products is the Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo. It doesn’t contain any parabens or chemical dyes so you don’t have to worry about it harming your dogs skin.
Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, Calendula Extracts and Papaya Extract it leaves my skin and coat looking much healthier.
Bathing is a very important part of our care routine, so this product works best when applied every month. My owners tend to leave it on my skin for around 4 to 5 minutes to achieve the best results.
While I appreciate the feel of the natural ingredients against my skin, my humans appreciate the affordable price tag!
It also comes in a 16 Oz bottle so there is plenty of product available – even for larger dogs or those of us who experience more severe shedding.
- Specifically designed to reduce excess shedding – It is praised for successfully reducing the amount of excess fur that we shed.
- You don’t need a lot of product – Once applied to our skin it lathers nicely so you don’t need to use a lot of product to give us a good, deep clean.
- The scent – While it leaves me smelling fresh, the scent isn’t overpowering.
- Made in the USA – My humans love that this product has been made in the USA so they are confident in the source of their purchase.
- Drying texture – although it contains ingredients to improve the health of my coat, for some it may be a little too drying.
- Packaging may vary. Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
- Works to reduce shedding
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids, Calendula Extract, and Papaya Leaf Extract
- Use monthly as part of the Furminator at-home professional grooming regiment
This shampoo is great for combating my shedding fur. As an oatmeal product, I particularly like how gentle it feels against my skin.
It is also enriched with vitamin B5, safflower, and natural, pH balanced biodegradable ingredients that are free of alcohol, parabens, phthalates, and dyes so it is safe for application onto my coat.
The combination of ingredients effectively cleans and condition my fur and the coconut verbena scent leaves my coat feeling nice and fresh for longer.
As it’s also safe for use on cats I sometimes find myself sharing this shampoo with my fellow feline friends.
Using this product on my fur is super easy. Before applying the shampoo I like to have my fur brushed beforehand to remove any uncomfortable knots.
I love the feeling of having this shampoo massaged into my skin before my owners rinse it off. After doing so, my fur appears much cleaner and healthier.
- Affordable price – The condition of my fur can be approved using an affordably priced product.
- The size of the bottle – This shampoo comes in an 18oZ product so I can enjoy plenty of baths using this product.
- Different variations available – Although I like the shed control option, there is an ‘extra soothing’ option available for dogs with sensitive skin and a ‘gentle puppy’ option for younger dogs.
- The Consistency – This product isn’t overly thick or watery so it can easily be applied to my coat.
- The Scent – While this leaves my skin feeling softer, to some the scent may be a little off-putting.
- Oatmeal shampoo for dogs gently reduces shedding
- Enriched with vitamin B5, 100% natural oatmeal extract, and safflower
- Long-lasting Coconut Verbena scent keeps your dog smelling fresh
- Made with natural, pH-balanced, and biodegradable ingredients; contains no alcohol, parabens, phthalates, or dyes
- Also safe for use on cats
The Burt’s Bees Natural Shed Control Shampoo has a veterinarian recommended formula which is free of fragrances, colorants, harsh chemicals, and sulfates so it is safe for my skin.
In fact, it is made from all-natural ingredients including Omega 3s and Vitamin E so my coat is going to be treated to high-quality ingredients.
As a mildly formulated pH-balanced shampoo it is safe for puppies and dogs so we can all have a healthier coat regardless of our age. After application, my fur feels much stronger and is less susceptible to breakage.
It also keeps my stray hairs at bay. Because this product has not been made from artificial ingredients, it doesn’t lather up as much as some other shampoos but it can still be massaged into my fur with ease.
This shampoo doesn’t have an overly strong scent as the formula doesn’t incorporate any fragrant chemicals which is great for those of us who suffer from skin irritations.
Applying this shampoo to my coat is so easy. My owners wet me in the bath before working this shampoo into my fur and skin and then rinsing it off.
- Cruelty-Free – A great thing about this brand is that they don’t test their product on animals.
- The Size Of The Bottle – This shampoo comes in a 16 Oz bottle so there is plenty of product available for treating my fur in future baths.
- Veterinarian recommended formula – This shows that this shampoo is safe for my coat as it has been recommended by professionals.
- No scent – The lack of scent means that my fur can be deeply cleaned without leaving it with an overpowering smell.
- Doesn’t lather – As this shampoo doesn’t lather it’s sometimes difficult for my humans to gauge how much they have put onto my fur.
- STRENGTHENS FUR AND REDUCES BREAKAGE — Shed control shampoo strengthens the fur, reduces breakage, and keeps stray hairs leashed
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — All natural ingredients include Omega-3s and Vitamin E
- DIRECTIONS — Apply to dog's wet coat. Work from head to tail and rinse, carefully avoiding eyes. Shampoo will have a light lather as this solution is made with only natural ingredients that are safe and effective for your pet. Store in a cool, dry place
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES — This mild shampoo is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
Last but not least is the Earthbath Green Tea & AwaPuhi Pet Shed Control Shampoo.
I like how the combination of ingredients work to nourish and moisturize my coat so that it appears much healthier while helping to reduce how much I shed.
The all-natural formula is composed of antioxidants, Organic Fair Trade shea butter, and Omega 6 fatty acids which detoxify my coat.
Some of us have allergies that are triggered when exposed to strong chemicals. Not only do the extracts of green tea leaf, Ginseng, and Awapuhi control my excess shedding but they also leave my skin smelling great!
It’s important to use products that are suitable for our age. This pH-balanced shampoo is suitable for dogs and cats aged 6 weeks and older.
As this shampoo comes in a two-pack there’s plenty available and this is especially great for those of us who suffer from excess shedding which requires regular baths.
Each bottle is 16oz too which is great for my humans as the product lasts for a decent amount of time.
- 100% money back guarantee – for dogs that are dissatisfied with the feel of this product and owners that are unhappy with the results.
- The Scent – This shampoo leaves my fur feeling great – not too overpowering but rather nice and refreshing.
- Appearance – After application, my fur looks much softer and shinier.
- Bottle Size – The size of the bottles means that there is plenty of product available.
- The Cost – Although this shampoo comes in a pack of 2, it is quite expensive.
- POTENT FORMULA FOR MAXIMUM MOISTURIZING - We blended the finest antioxidants and skin moisturizers to create this All-Natural Pet Care Shampoo. This potent formula contains Organic Fair Trade Shea Butter and Omega-6 Fatty Acids to nourish and detoxify your pet's skin and coat
- BRILLIANTLY SOFT & HEAVENLY SCENTED - Extracts of Green Tea Leaf, Ginseng, and Awapuhi help to control excessive shedding, dander, and associated allergens
- SAFETY FIRST - Our Green Tea & Awapuhi Shed Control Shampoo is safe for all animals over 6 weeks old. Naturally, this pH-balance soap-free shampoo will thoroughly clean and deodorize
- KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING - What goes into our products is just as important as what doesn't. This product contains no soap, gluten, DEA, parabens, synthetic dyes, sulfates, or phthalates, and is animal cruelty free, for a better bath every time!
- HAPPINESS GUARANTEE - We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason
There are a few things that you will need to look out for in a good dog shedding shampoo.
It is important to make sure that the product you choose is suitable for your dog’s fur type and requirements.
As there are so many different dog shampoo products available, it can be difficult for you humans to know exactly what product is going to be the most effective for treating your pooch.
Taking my top tips into consideration will be very helpful.
The Cause Of The Shedding
While certain breeds of us are known to shed more than others due to our fur types, there can often be underlying reasons as to why your dog is shedding.
Similarly to humans, us dogs can develop allergies. This could be allergies towards things we come across on our outdoor adventures like plants or allergies towards a particular type of dog food.
Whatever the cause, it is important to assess any changes to the environment that may have resulted in this fur loss.
If an allergy is the cause, consulting a vet is beneficial as they can provide you with the best advice – you don’t want to apply any products to our coats that could trigger a reaction!
Another cause of shedding can be stress. Although it may be difficult to understand why we get stressed when we spend much of our time enjoying adventurous walks and relaxing on the sofa, sudden changes in our lifestyle can cause us to become stressed.
As a result, we sometimes shed more fur than usual.
A lack of nutrition in our diets can also identify another reason as to why some of us dogs shed. We require particular ingredients and vitamins inside our food to grow a luscious fur coat. If we are not provided with these nutrients we will have trouble doing so.
There are several other reasons why your dog may appear to be shedding excessively. Determining the root cause can help you find the best shampoo for your dog.
A dog shedding shampoo is made from milder, soothing ingredients that aren’t going to irritate our skin. If you have a doggie with sensitive skin this is going to be super important!
Unfortunately, some of us experience quite severe skin irritations and in this case, it is best to consult a vet who may recommend a specific, specialized product.
Most dog shampoos contain the following restorative ingredients which moisturize our coats to ensure that we are always looking our best.
While we require a balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids in our diet, you can find these ingredients in shampoos and our skin is especially appreciative of them.
Not only do these ingredients soothe skin allergies but they also leave our coat looking lovely and shiny.
Vitamin E is an ingredient that is found in most dog shampoo products. It is an antioxidant that protects our skin cells. It will reduce how much we shed and also make our coats much stronger.
If your dog suffers from any kind of skin irritations try to look for a product that contains oatmeal. As an anti-inflammatory, oatmeal can be very soothing on our skin. Aloe vera is great for these issues too!
Shedding can often be an unpleasant experience for us so we appreciate a product that is going to improve the condition of our skin and coat, rather than make it worse.
We prefer products that are made with natural ingredients instead of harsh chemicals as these can worsen any pre-existing skin conditions.
Although some of us furry animals don’t like to admit it, we can be rather smelly from time to time. Because of this, you should try to look for a shampoo that contains deodorizing ingredients.
These ingredients will help to get rid of our doggy smell leaving us smelling as fresh as a daisy instead. Avoid synthetic fragrances and instead, look for a product that contains natural fragrances.
While we love being spoiled, we understand that our humans have different budgets to spend. There are many great shampoos available that are super affordable.
It’s so important to ensure that the shampoo you choose delivers the benefits to our skin that we require and is also suitable for any skin allergies or particular conditions that we suffer from.
Some brands are loved and trusted by our humans and us doggies alike because they’re effective in reducing how much we shed.
Despite this, there are many products from less known brands available too. You should purchase a product from a brand that you trust while ensuring that it caters to the requirements of your pooch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do deshedding shampoos really work?
So you’re probably wondering whether dog shedding shampoos really work in treating the problem. You don’t want to purchase a product only to find that it is ineffective in its purpose.
These products claim to restore the healthy appearance of our fur coats and reduce the amount that we shed, and those that contain Omega 3 or Omega 6 Fatty acids are going to be particularly effective.
Why is my dog shedding excessively?
Sometimes we begin to shed excessively because of a medical condition that we are experiencing.
Parasites, fungal infections, or hormonal issues are some common reasons why our fur sometimes falls out more than normal.