Just like humans, us dogs can suffer from certain allergies.
We can be allergic to things such as pollen, insects, and even our fellow pets!
These often manifest as skin allergies which, if left unchecked, can cause us a lot of discomfort.
Our allergies can make us extremely itchy and, if you’ve noticed that we’re scratching a lot more during the spring and summer, it’s quite likely that our allergies are playing up.
Like most dogs, I would rather avoid a trip to the veterinarian if possible though, and would much rather you try treating my allergies at home instead.
You might be wondering how to do this. The answer is fairly simple – you need to buy a dog shampoo that is designed to soothe and alleviate my allergies.
And, as much as I don’t like the idea of having a bath, giving me a good scrub with a special shampoo is a great way to make me feel better.
From what I can gather, you humans look for certain things when you’re buying a shampoo for your own fur. But dog allergy shampoo is quite different. I’m looking for soothed skin, not super-hydrated locks!
So, I decided to lend a helping paw and show you the best dog shampoos for allergies. I’ve also put together a useful buyer’s guide that’s got all the information you need on what to look out for when you’re buying my shampoo.
Best Dog Shampoo for Allergies
What I like most about this Lavender Oatmeal Dog Shampoo from HONEYDEW is the floral smell. Since I’m so sensitive to scents, I’d much rather smell like something natural than a nasty chemical.
It’s also really good at removing dirt from my coat, so it’s great for giving me a thorough clean if I’ve had a busy day rolling around in the dirt!
This shampoo contains a special oatmeal formula that helps to soothe my irritated skin, so it’s perfect for allergies.
It also restores a lot of moisture to my skin to keep it healthy, making it much harder for my allergies to cause that itchy feeling.
The all-natural formula and 100% pure oils used to create this dog allergy shampoo make my coat beautifully glossy, too. So, not only will I be soothed of my itchy allergies, but I’ll look as gorgeous as ever after my bath.
Even though I’m a little dog, this can be used on dogs of all sizes, so it’s a great choice for multi-dog households. It’s also cruelty-free and vegan, so none of my animal friends have been used to test it.
And, when you’ve used all the shampoo, you can put the empty bottle in your recycling to help the environment.
- Oatmeal formula – soothes irritated skin and restores moisture to prevent any further itchiness
- Neutralizes odors – the gorgeous lavender scent will leave me feeling fresh and naturally-scented
- All-natural formula – no nasty chemicals that will irritate my skin
- 100% pure oils – leaves my coat looking glossy and healthy
- Suitable for all dogs – from tiny Chihuahuas to gargantuan Great Danes, this shampoo can be used on dogs of all sizes
- Small bottle – there is only 9.91-ounces of shampoo in each bottle, so if you’re planning on giving me a regular bath you may need to purchase it more frequently than you’d have expected
- Dog Oatmeal Shampoo - Try one of the best dog shampoo formulas handcrafted to cleanse and moisturize dry skin and fur for a pet shampoo for dogs that’s a dog grooming supplies and pet bath staple
- Deodorizing Dog Shampoo - You can trust our dog body wash and oatmeal shampoo for dogs for a pet deodorizer that removes dirt and odors thanks to potent lavender oil for dogs in our dog odor shampoo
- Big and Small - Whether looking for the best puppy shampoo for small dogs or a gentle dog cleaner for older dogs we got you covered with our versatile oatmeal lavender dog shampoo for all dogs
- Dog Supplies - We take dog shower & bath accessories seriously and we believe all dog stuff should be gentle and effective which is why all our dog products are created with high quality ingredients
- Pet Pleasant Quality - Choose us and give your furry friend premium pet care with superstar ingredients like Jojoba oil Keratin Lavender Glycerin and more for a moisturizing and refreshing cleanse
This All-Natural 5-in-1 Oatmeal Pet Shampoo from Pro Pet Works has been specially formulated to help soothe and restore moisture to my dry, irritated skin.
It contains loads of natural ingredients that are great for any dog that suffers from food, grass, or flea-bite allergies. These include aloe vera gel, almond oil, and oatmeal.
It’s also enriched with Vitamins A, D, and E to help repair my skin and fight against any nasty allergies that try and make me uncomfortable.
It doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates, or alcohol either, so there’s no risk of my skin getting irritated by it.
This dog shampoo detangles my coat while you lather me up too, so any annoying knots can be gently brushed out without causing any pain.
It’s also suitable for frequent use as the all-natural ingredients won’t create any damage to my skin, no matter how regularly you think I need a bath.
You can even use this allergy shampoo following a flea treatment without worrying about washing it away. None of my animal friends have been used for testing this shampoo either, so it’s completely cruelty-free.
It’s also so gentle that it can be used on other pets too, including ferrets, guinea pigs, and rabbits, so it’s perfect if you’ve got lots of fur-babies to wash!
- Specially formulated for dry skin – an all-natural shampoo that is ideal for dogs that suffer from food, grass, and flea-bite allergies
- Enriched with vitamins – contains Vitamins A, D, and E to restore skin health and help fight against future irritation
- Detangles – gently detangles any knots in my coat and allows you to brush them out with minimal effort
- Suitable for regular use – can be used frequently without causing skin damage and it won’t wash away my flea treatment either
- Safe for all pets – the all-natural formula makes it safe to use on other pets too including rabbits, ferrets, and guinea pigs
- Not the best for removing odors – I like the way I smell, but if you think I need to smell a bit fresher, this isn’t the best shampoo for removing odors
- PRO PET WORKS PERFECT BLEND" ✔️Aloe Vera Gel ✔️Almond Oil ✔️Oatmeal ✔️Vitamins A, D & E
- BENEFITS: ✔️Formulated for sensitive, itchy, dry skin ✔️Helps eliminate wet dog smell ✔️De-tangles for easy brushing ✔️Safe for daily use ✔️Paraben, cruelty free, sulfate free, soap free ✔️No alcohol or animal by products ✔️Made in USA
- ADVANCED FORMULATION:Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with CATS and DOGS with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot-spots and itching, approved for ferets, rabbits and guinea pigs as well. Vet endorsed. This is the secret of leading professional groomers and vets
This Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo from Vet’s Best is another allergy shampoo that is filled with all-natural ingredients that help to relieve my symptoms and soothe my skin.
The first of these is oatmeal, which doesn’t only calm existing irritation, but helps my skin preserve its normal moisture content. This means that it’s much harder for allergies to create irritation in the future.
It also features neem oil and this is full of Vitamin E, emollients, and fatty acids. All of these work together to restore my skin’s moisture levels and repair any damage I’ve caused by scratching at my allergies.
This dog allergy shampoo goes further than just skin-deep, though. It contains chamomile that soaks into my skin and provides antioxidant protection.
This strengthens my immune system and helps it fight against environmental pollutants and neutralizes free radicals.
To top it all off, it also contains tea tree oil to cleanse my skin and my coat, as well as working alongside the chamomile oil to boost my immune system.
This is one of the best oils for seasonal allergies, and it also has a fragrant scent that will leave my coat smelling fresh and clean.
- Contains oatmeal – soothes irritated skin and preserves moisture levels to prevent future irritation
- Neem oil – packed with Vitamin E, emollients, and fatty acids that restore my skin’s moisture level and repair damage
- Chamomile – Soaks into my skin to provide antioxidant protection against environmental pollutants and free radicals
- Tea tree oil – cleanses my skin and coat, and works with the chamomile oil to boost my immune system
- Fresh fragrance – neutralizes odors and leaves my coat smelling fresh and naturally scented
- Takes a while to work – some humans that purchased this product noted that it took a few baths before their dog stopped itching
- RELIEF FOR ITCHY SKIN - Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo is a soothing, natural remedy for dogs with itchy skin due to allergies or sensitivity.
- EFFECTIVE AND PLEASING - Washes away allergens, relieves itchy skin, and leaves your dog smelling spa-day fresh.
- NATURAL REMEDY - We use a veterinarian formulated blend of essential oils and key natural ingredients (such as oatmeal, d’limonene, and tea tree oil) to calm and moisturize itchy, red skin.
- USE AS NEEDED - Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo may be used as often as necessary to remove allergens without drying out your dog’s skin.
- WORKS WITH OTHER TREATMENTS - Will not affect topical flea and tick control products.
If you’re looking for a way to soothe my allergies and strengthen my skin’s health, you can’t go wrong with this Anti Itch Shampoo & Conditioner from Pets Are Kids Too.
It contains an all-natural formula consisting of oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera that all work together to calm my irritated skin and restore its moisture levels.
These ingredients also leave my coat with an oatmeal cookie scent, so it’s a great choice if you would prefer I didn’t smell of flowers or herbs after my bath.
Even better, it means I won’t smell like any nasty chemicals, as there are no detergents or alcohols in the formula.
This dog allergy shampoo is hypoallergenic too, so it’s ideal for any dog that suffers from particularly bad allergic reactions.
It also contains natural antibacterial and antifungal agents that will clean and repair any damaged skin and prevent any further irritation.
It’s a really good shampoo to use during the summer as it reduces shedding, too. Coconut oil is also featured in the ingredient list and this is good for me for a couple of reasons.
First of all, it is super moisturizing and will help my skin stay strong and healthy. Secondly, it will hydrate my coat and leave me looking shiny and beautiful.
- Oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera – these natural ingredients work together to soothe my skin and restore its moisture levels
- Hypoallergenic – perfect for dogs that suffer from severe allergies
- Antibacterial and antifungal – gently cleans and repairs any damaged skin
- Coconut oil – deeply moisturizes my skin and leaves my coat looking shiny and healthy
- Reduces shedding – perfect for use in summer when my coat is shedding more frequently
- The scent doesn’t last – Although the oatmeal cookie scent is really nice, it only lasts for a couple of days after I’ve had my bath
- Comprehensive anti itch formula: Natural oatmeal, baking soda, and aloe vera based pet shampoo with coconut provides instant itch relief! Our revolutionary pet wash was specially formulated with cats and dogs with sensitive skin and coats in mind, providing relief from hot-spots and itching, approved for guinea pigs as well
- Vet endorsed & smells incredible: The light yet amazing oatmeal cookie scent is the long lasting way to eliminate odor. Vet formulated specifically for large or small dogs and cats. This is the secret of some leading professional groomers
- Pet allergy friendly: All-natural and hypoallergenic soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion – helps protect your doggy or kitty from itching, shedding, fleas, yeast, & allergies! Zero harmful chemicals (unlike other dog shampoos)
- Tear free & dandruff free: The only natural dog shampoo I’ll use on my own pets from puppy & kitty to senior dogs and cats! Plant derived ingredients are gentle on paw and nose and provide enhanced moisturizing
- Lifetime, no questions asked, manufacturer money back guarantee (yes, lifetime) - You and your pets will Love it or get a full refund, plus it is made 100% in the USA cruelty-free so go ahead and make your fur baby even more huggable by clicking "Add to Cart" now
The K9 Pro Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is one of the most effective allergy shampoos for soothing my irritated skin.
It uses Proprietary Liposome Technology that adheres the ingredients to the surface of my skin and helps them penetrate through the layers so they can reach the areas where they are most effective.
It combines soothing aloe vera gel with oatmeal extract to calm red, itchy skin without causing any further irritation.
Meanwhile, the cucumber essence and ripe melon extract clean my skin and my coat of any impurities, leaving me feeling great and smelling good.
This shampoo is hypoallergenic too, so it’s a great option for dogs that suffer from severe allergies but still need a bath every so often. It’s even recommended by veterinarians for dogs that suffer from skin allergies.
The formula is tear-free as well, so you can even use it on my head and my face without worrying about any nasty chemicals getting into my eyes and causing discomfort.
It can be used on dogs of all ages and sizes too, so if I ever get a dog-brother or dog-sister, we’ll be able to use the same shampoo even if we’re different breeds.
- Proprietary Liposome Technology – helps the ingredients penetrate my skin and work more efficiently in certain areas
- Aloe vera and oatmeal – work together to soothe my irritated skin and restore its normal moisture levels
- Cucumber essence and ripe melon extract – cleanses my skin and coat and leaves me smelling fresh and clean
- Hypoallergenic – ideal for dogs that suffer from particularly nasty skin allergies
- Tear-free – can be used to wash my head and face without causing irritation to my eyes
- Needs a lot of rinsing – this allergy shampoo lathers up really well and, while this helps to clean my skin and coat, it takes a lot of rinsing to remove it all
- Most Other Shampoo For Dogs Are Cheap Soaps - Many With Harsh Chemicals And Detergents - K9-Max Is An All Natural Soap Free Vet Developed Formula That Is So Effective You Won't Believe it Is All Natural. This Soft Gentle Hypoallergenic Shampoo Is For Dry Itchy Sensitive Skin with a Soothing Cucumber & Melon Scent That People Just Rave About
- Proprietary Liposome Technology - Nano Liposome particles encapsulate the organic functional ingredients, adhere to the surface and penetrate through the skin, and thus carry the ingredients to areas where they are most effective
- K9-Max Is The Highest Quality Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo - We didn't sacrifice quality when we set out to produce the best dog shampoo ever available on amazon or anywhere. Made in the USA - manufactured in a top rated CGMP facility using only the highest quality ingredients
- Turn Bath Time Into Play Time - Your dog will love this time you get to spend together. In a tub or shower K9-Max pet wash shampoo applies easily using warm water. Simply wet your pet thoroughly then apply a generous amount of puppy shampoo and conditioner tear free, head to tail to feet. Rinse thoroughly and dry
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - We are so confident you and your dog will love this premium dog shampoo that if you are not satisfied for any reason - just let us know, and we will refund your purchase price - not other questions asked
As I’ve said before, there are a few things that us dogs need from our shampoo that you might not necessarily know about.
This is particularly important if we’re suffering from seasonal or year-round allergies, as washing us in the wrong type of shampoo could create even more issues.
Below, I’ve put together a list of things you need to look out for when you’re buying my allergy shampoo.
Taking a little extra time to check through these will help you find the best dog shampoo for allergies, and will alleviate my symptoms much faster.
The most important thing you need to make sure of is that my allergy shampoo is made from all-natural ingredients.
Any nasty chemicals might cause my already-irritated skin to flare up and cause me even more discomfort.
If my shampoo is made from natural ingredients though, it’ll be soothed and able to repair itself properly.
To help you find the best natural ingredients to look out for, I’ve put together a list of some of the best:
- Oatmeal: This helps to soothe my skin and maintain its natural moisture levels.
- Vitamins A, D, and E: These mighty vitamins help to regenerate skin cells and makes it easier for my skin to defend itself against future irritation.
- Aloe Vera: Soothes and calms any inflammation that I’ve created by scratching at myself.
- Coconut Oil: Moisturizes my skin deeply and helps to restore moisture levels.
- Neem Oil: full of Vitamin E, emollients, and fatty acids that restore my skin’s moisture level and repair damage.
- Chamomile: Penetrates through the layers of my skin to support my immune system and fight against environmental pollutants and free radicals
- Thyme: Cleans away impurities from my skin and my coat and leaves me smelling beautifully clean
The more natural ingredients there are in my allergy shampoo, the more regularly you’ll be able to wash me using it, too.
This means that if I were to get very dirty after a fun day of playing outdoors, you can clean me without worrying about my skin getting irritated.
As far as I’m concerned, smelling like a dog is absolutely fine. However, I understand that some humans find the way I naturally smell a little bit stinky, especially if I’ve gotten wet.
So, since I’m going to be getting wet during my bath, you might want to think about how you’d like me to smell afterward.
There are loads of options to choose from here. Some allergy shampoos for dogs smell floral and herby, some have sweeter scents, while others are totally neutral and don’t smell of anything at all.
I like all of them, to be honest. And, as long as I don’t smell of any chemicals once I’m clean, I’ll be a very happy dog.
Age & Breed
Most dog allergy shampoos can be used on all breeds and all ages. But, there are some that might be a little too powerful for sensitive puppy skin.
Likewise, there are certain breeds that might have an allergic reaction to one of the natural ingredients.
So, before you purchase, take the time to find out whether or not the shampoo you’ve chosen is suitable for me and for my age.
If your dog suffers from severe allergies, it’s a good idea to make sure the shampoo you’ve chosen is hypoallergenic. This guarantees that it won’t cause any further damage to their skin when you’re washing them.
A hypoallergenic shampoo also won’t cause any irritation to my skin if you’ve accidentally left some of the product behind after rinsing. This is particularly good if your dog has thick hair that likes to hold onto moisture.
Antibacterial & Antifungal
Some shampoos for dog allergies also contain natural antibacterial and antifungal agents. This is ideal if your dog’s skin has become so irritated that it’s started to weep or look really sore.
These antibacterial and antifungal agents will clean the wounds and stop any nasty infections from setting in.
Finally, as with anything you buy online, it’s worth checking out if the shampoo you’re buying for me comes with any extra benefits.
Some have a detangle formula which means that it will gently loosen any knots or matted fur in my coat while you’re shampooing me. This makes it much easier to comb them out and makes me look even more beautiful.
An allergy shampoo that has a no-tears formula is also a good thing to look out for. This will allow you to wash and treat my head and my face without risking any irritation to my eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best allergy shampoo for dogs?
There are loads of allergy shampoos for dogs, but the list of five I’ve provided above are among the very best.
Each of them is made with all-natural ingredients that will soothe your dog’s skin, restore their moisture level, and relieve them of their itchy allergy symptoms.