I’m like one of those little chihuahua’s that thinks they’re ten feet tall – Alexander Volkanovski
Hola mi amigos! Don’t let my size fool you into thinking that I don’t enjoy playing, exploring new places, and going on all sorts of exciting adventures with my humans, I do.
In fact, we chihuahua’s have a lust and zest for life that few of our canine cousins can hope to compete with and our natural curiosity means that we’re mischievous, cheeky, and are always trying to find new and exciting things to do.
Because I have such a huge appetite for life, it’s important that I have the right food to eat, so that I can meet life and all that it offers head-on and without reservation.
Even though I’m not averse to the odd human delicacy and treat, I much prefer to be fed the same way that other, much bigger dogs are.
I need a diet that’s been designed to keep me healthy, active, and bursting with the energy that I need to be able to play and ensures that my skin and fur are always silky, smooth, and in pristine condition, as I feel the cold a lot more than other dogs do. I like it when the sun is out and the weather is warm and the hotter it is the more I like it.
As I can be a little fussy about the food that I do and don’t like to eat, I’ve put together a list of five of my favorite dinners so that you’ll know without having to spend an endless amount of time trying to figure out with your nino, what the best dog food for chihuahuas is.
It took my humans a long time to discover what I liked to eat, but you don’t have to waste your time doing that and can leapfrog to the front of the best Chi-Chi parent line by feeding your boy the way he was meant to be fed.
Let the chihuahua food fiesta begin…
Best Dog Food For Chihuahua
[amazon fields=”B07BWWFN3T” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
As I’ve already mentioned, I can be more than a little fussy where food is concerned, but that’s because I have a sensitive stomach and some food just doesn’t agree with me.
Candiae knows that and understands the eternal struggle that walks hand in hand with trying to create tasty food that chihuahua’s love. That’s why their Pure Petite line has been formulated using only eight ingredients so that I can eat delicious food that won’t make my tummy do backflips.
I love meat as much as the next dog does, and the primary protein source that provides me with all of the energy that I need to enjoy life in Pure Petite is fresh farm-raised lamb.
And because it’s completely natural and designed to cater to my sensitive tastes, it’s also completely grain free and doesn’t include any of the things, like corn and wheat, that might make me sick.
But the thing that I like the most about Canidae is that it’s been made in perfect Chihuahua-sized chunks. I don’t have a very big mouth, and when I’m not using it to bark at strangers and other dogs, I like to use it to eat.
And knowing that this food is easy for me to chew is a big part of the reason that I fell in love with lamb that’s served the Canidae way.
- Limited Ingredient List – Pure Petite was created with a limited ingredient list, which helps to reduce the risk that it’ll upset my stomach and make me ill. And using lamb as the main source of its protein makes my tail wag like a tornado because I know it’s the guacamole on the top of this delicious dog food burrito.
- Just The Right Size – Each morsel of the kibble was designed for my mouth to chew. It’s just the right size so when my bowl hits the floor, I can tuck straight in and enjoy chewing every little lamb flavored bit and bite.
- It’s Not Just Protein – There’s more to Canidae than just protein, as it includes all of the Omega fatty acids that my skin and coat need to stay healthy and the probiotics that I need to keep my temperamental digestion in check and under control.
- Grain Free – And because Candia understands that certain grains can wreak havoc on little dogs’ tummies, they’ve completely eliminated any trace of wheat, soy, and corn from their food. Knowing that there are no grains in Canidae makes me a happy boy.
- Fiber Rich – Because Canidae uses a lot of fiber in their food to help me digest it more easily, there is a chance that it could cause some rear-end distress in your boy, and if it does, don’t worry. This usually passes in a day or two, but if it doesn’t, you’ll have to wean him off his new lamb diet.
[amazon fields=”B0074JN2MI” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Just because I’m little, it doesn’t mean that I don’t have big nutritional needs, and Royal Canin has made sure that all of them are catered for by their breed-specific Chihuahua dry food.
It even has a picture of me on the packaging, to make sure that everyone knows that the best way to feed your boy is with a bowl full of this delicious kibble.
Its main source of protein is chicken, so I can feast on pollo to my heart’s content and know that I’m filling up on all of the energy that I need and that my muscles will always be lean and ready to help me play with all of my amigos whenever the mood takes me.
It also has all of the fatty acids and oils that my skin and coat need to stay healthy and thanks to the special blend of fiber that Royal Canin uses, it helps me to easily absorb and digest all of the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that Royal Canin has packed into every mouthful.
And while we’re talking about mouthfuls, thanks to the dedicated team of scientists and nutritionists that formulate all of Royal Canin’s food, this kibble has been made to suit the shape of my mouth, so I can chew it slowly and easily and savor every last little bite.
It smells good too, and as soon as the packet is open, I know and it makes me rush into the kitchen, and as my bowl hits the floor, I’m ready and waiting for my dinner.
- It’s Made Just For Me – Royal Canin specialize in creating food that’s been formulated to meet all of the nutritional needs of specific breeds and this food has been made to satisfy my appetite and provide all of the vitamins, nutrients, minerals, and protein that I need to be healthy and happy.
- Fatty Acids – It’s packed full of Omega 3, which includes EPA, DHA, and biotin. I have no idea what they are, but I do know that they all help to make sure that my skin is always healthy and my fur is always shiny and warm.
- Bite Size – Just like me, the kibble is tiny and perfectly formed, so that I can easily chew and enjoy every single mouthful of my dinner.
- It Smells Good Too – The aromas that are brought to life by Royal Canin’s food make my nose twitch and my tail wag whenever the bag is opened, and as it contains mucho pollo, it tastes every bit as good as it smells.
- Some Do, Some Don’t – Even though I like it a lot, as we’re fussy eaters and incredibly picky about our food, and even though my picture is on the packet, some of my Chihuahua compadres don’t like it. And the only way you’ll know if your nino likes it or he doesn’t, is by letting him try it for himself.
[amazon fields=”B008EXELSM” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Normally, when someone calls me a toy breed, I get cross and start barking, because I’m a big boy too.
I may not be built like one, but I have the heart of a wolf and if it wasn’t for the fact this Life Protection food is so good for me, I’d spend all day letting Blue Buffalo know exactly how furious I was by barking at them.
But I can’t stay angry when my bowl is filled with Life Protection, as it focuses, first and foremost on the thing that all dogs love and that’s real meat.
The free-range chicken that they use not only tastes magnifico, but it helps me to build and maintain the lean muscles that I need to run around, play, and yip and holler at all of the exciting things in the world.
It’s also completely natural so it doesn’t contain any of the grains and extra packing and bulking materials that can upset my stomach, so I can just eat until I’m full and not have to worry or even think about whether or not it might make me ill.
Life Protection also includes Blue Buffalo’s LifeSource Bits which are made from a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that have been chosen by veterinarians and nutritionists to support my immune system health and all-around wellbeing at every stage of my life.
It tastes good and it’s good for me, what more could any big boy want?
- Meat First, Everything Else After – Just like all of their other recipes do, Blue Buffalo’s big boy food uses meat as its first, and primary ingredient which means that it contains all of the pollo based protein that my muscles need to stay lean and strong.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Blue Buffalo adds all of the vitamins and minerals that a growing boy like me needs to stay fit, active, and alert.
- LifeSource – Blue Buffalo’s Life Formula also includes their patented LifeSource bits which have all of the antioxidants, fatty acids, and oils that my coat, skin, and digestive system need to keep me warm, healthy, and happy.
- It’s Natural Too – And as it doesn’t contain any grains, artificial colors, or preservatives, it doesn’t upset my sometimes delicate stomach or make me feel sick after I’ve had a bowl full.
- Expiration Dates – Make sure you check the expiration dates, as bags of food that are past their sell-by date have been known to slip under the radar. And if you feed your nino with food that is past its sell-by date, it can make him very poorly. So keep a careful eye on the best before dates.
[amazon fields=”B007M0J9VC” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Wellness says that their food helps to fuel every dog’s best life, and even though I can’t tell you if that’s the way that other perros feel after their dinner after I’ve had mine, that’s exactly how I feel.
And after I’ve had a little siesta, I’m always raring to go. And when they say that if you pick Core, you’ll be picking a kibble that your chihuahua will love, they mean it.
The flavor they chose is a little unusual, as I’m only used to getting turkey around Thanksgiving, but because Core is packed with dense proteins and wholesome grains, it gives me all of the nutrients that I need in one incredibly tasty meal.
They don’t use any of the horrible meat by-products and fillers that can make me poorly, and all of the fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and more that I need to make sure that I stay healthy, fit, and strong are included in this recipe.
What’s more, all of the ingredients that Wellness uses to make my ideal dinner come from trusted sources that deliver directly to their state of the art kitchen that’s based here right here in America.
That’s why they know what goes into every single batch of their dog food and because they know exactly what’s in their food, my humans do too. And if my humans say that Core is good for me, then it must be muy bueno para mi.
- Leveling Up – Core contains the optimal protein and calorie levels that a big boy like me needs to be strong so that he can bound through life.
- Whole Body Health – It isn’t just made to smell and taste good, Wellness Core also contains all of the vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and nutrients that I need to ensure that my bones, joints, skin, coat, and stomach stay healthy.
- Trusted Sources – Wellness only uses sources that they trust to supply their ingredients, so they always know what goes into every morsel of their food, and be because my humans trust them, I trust them too. And besides, it also tastes fantastico!
- It’s Taste Thing – Remember I told you how fussy we can be? It’s true and some of mi amigos love this food as much as I do, and some of them don’t like it at all. Unfortunately, you won’t know which camp your nino falls into until you offer him a bowl full of it.
[amazon fields=”B01BKECF2K” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
I like to look good everywhere I go, and with Hill’s Science Diet I never have to worry about looking anything other than mi mejor.
The combination of vitamin E and Omega 6 fatty acids that are included in every mouthful of this perfectly sized kibble ensures that my coat is always shiny, soft, and warm and that my skin is always healthy.
But this food isn’t just about helping me to look good, it also uses prebiotic fiber to make sure that my digestive system can easily absorb all of the proteins, nutrients, and vitamins that I need to conquer every single day and make it my own.
Hills have formulated this food with big boys like me in mind so that we get all of the things that we need to thrive in a great-tasting pollo based food that’s easy to eat and digest.
I don’t know much about science, but I don’t think I need to, and as far as being on diet is concerned, my humans put me on one before and the food that I had to eat while I was on it was nowhere near as nice as this is.
So, I have no idea why Hills call their food science diet when they should just call it pollo supremo, and then every big boy would want to eat it all the time.
- Looking Good – Thanks to the combination of Omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E that Hills uses, I always look incredible after a couple of bowlfuls. My coat looks shiny, it’s warm and soft to the touch and my skin is always healthy.
- Protein Rich – It’s also protein-rich, and thanks to the tasty chicken that Hills uses in their food, my muscles are always strong and I’m always full of energy and ready to play.
- Made For Big Boys Like Me – Hill’s Science Diet has been specifically formulated to deliver the exact combination of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that big boys like me need to thrive and stay healthy.
- Phased Introduction – It isn’t an all or nothing food, and it needs to be phased into your boy’s duet gradually, or he might get sick. Hill’s Science Diet is a lot to get used to at once, and you’ll need to make sure you introduce it to your Chi-Chi the same way my humans did with me. Slowly and carefully
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind Of Food Do I Need To Feed My Chihuahua To Make Sure He Stays Healthy?
Contrary to what you might have heard, we like to eat the same things as, and have the same dietary requirements that most dogs do.
Even though we’re small, we’re quite hardy, and while we’re prone to having sensitive stomachs and digestion, if we’re fed a grain free, natural diet neither of those things need ever be an issue that plagues your nino.
One of the things that my humans discovered quite early, was that I like to be warm all the time and enjoyed burrowing under blankets and making nests from the towels that they left out and about.
As I feel the cold more than most dogs do, it’s also important to feed me a diet that’s rich in fatty acids and Omega oils, as they help to keep my skin and coat healthy, which makes sure that I’m always as warm as I like, and want, to be.
What Do I Need To Know About Chihuahuas?
One of the things that any potential human friend needs to know about me and my amigos and compadres is that the urban myth that we like to bite and are snappy dogs just isn’t true.
We’re very loyal to our humans and our families and very protective of our territory and space. That said, we’re also funny, quirky, and epitomize the idea of the big dog who is trapped in a small dog’s body.
Even though we can be wary of, and a little standoffish to strangers, if you’re patient and offer us a tasty treat or two, we soon come around.
We’re fun loving canine companions who can be a little stubborn and while it takes us some time to learn new things, we’re worth every second that you invest in us one hundred times over.
Which Dog Food Is Best For My Chihuahua?
I love all the food on the list, and would happily eat it for every meal.
Having said that, some of the foods on my list are a little more expensive than others, so the best way to decide which of the foods that I like is best for your nino, is by setting your budget and taking another look at it.
It’ll soon become apparent which of the foods on my list shoots straight to the top of your list.
If you were to ask me though, the food that I’d always choose over all the others is my absolute favorite, and that’s Royal Canin Chihuahua.
And if you want to know why just look at the packet. It has my picture on it.