As a border collie, I need plenty of exercise every day.
Going for long walks, running around open fields, and even using my high level of intelligence to solve puzzle toys are just some of my most favorite things to do.
Today's Featured Video
And, to make sure I’ve got enough energy to do all of these things, I need a delicious meal.
I can’t eat just anything, though. As well as keeping me energized and raring to go, my food needs to be good for my health.
My bones need to be kept strong and my coat needs to be beautifully glossy. But, it can be a bit difficult for humans to know exactly what I need. We don’t speak the same language, after all!
So, I’ve decided to lend a helping paw and show you humans what the best dog food for border collies should have in it.
I’ve also put together a buyer’s guide that has all the information you need to make sure the food you choose is delicious, nutritious, and guaranteed to keep a border collie like me in tip-top shape.
Best Dog Food for Border Collies
This Life Protection Formula from Blue Buffalo is one of the tastiest dog foods I’ve ever tried.
It’s made using real meat which means it’s packed with high-quality protein and this ensures that my muscles are kept strong and healthy. It also contains whole grains, garden vegetables, and non-toxic fruits that give me all the vitamins and minerals I need every day.
This mixture of all-natural ingredients also provides me with essential carbohydrates that I can use to meet my energy needs. I also get omega 3 & 6 fatty acids from this dog food, which means that my coat will look shiny and my skin is healthy.
My immune system is also kept in great condition through the vitamins and minerals provided by this dog food. This means that I’m less likely to get sick and I’ll be able to spend my days playing instead of feeling poorly.
Another thing that I really like about this Blue Buffalo dog food is that it comes in three different flavors; Chicken & Brown Rice, Fish & Brown Rice, and Lamb & Brown Rice.
These are all delicious and this variety means that, if you want to keep things interesting, you can feed me different flavors throughout the week.
- Made using real meat – keeps my muscles strong and healthy
- Contains whole grains, vegetables, and fruit – packed with all the vitamins and minerals I need each day
- High carbohydrate content – gives my energy levels a boost
- Omega 3 & 6 – keeps my coat looking shiny and my skin healthy
- Three flavors – keeps things new and interesting throughout the week
- Only suitable for adult dogs – this is fine for me, but if I was still a puppy I’d have to wait until I was fully grown to enjoy this delicious food
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real lamb helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Lamb and Brown Rice
I’m a big fan of this Nutrish Premium Dry Dog Food from Rachael Ray. Not only is it really tasty, but it has lots of vitamins and minerals that I can use to keep myself strong, healthy, and full of energy.
It doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or preservatives, so you can rest assured that there aren’t any nasty chemicals going into my body.
Instead, I’ll be enjoying 100% natural ingredients, including U.S farm-raised chicken that will feed my muscles with lean protein.
This dog food also contains wholesome whole grains that are packed with fiber and help to ensure my digestive system is kept in good working condition. This is further assured by the natural prebiotics that are contained within some of the ingredients.
It’s wheat-free and gluten-free too and, while I don’t have an allergy to these myself, a border collie that suffers from gluten allergies would find this highly beneficial.
When you buy this dog food, a portion of the sale also goes to the Rachael Ray Foundation, which provides less fortunate animals with food, medical care, and more.
- Free from artificial flavors and preservatives – ideal for stopping any nasty chemicals from getting into my body
- Made from U.S farm-raised chicken – feeds my muscles with lean protein
- Contains whole grains and natural prebiotics – keeps my digestive system healthy
- Wheat-free and gluten-free – perfect for border collies with gluten allergies
- Supports less fortunate animals – a portion of the sale goes to the Rachael Ray Foundation to provide food and medical care to animals in need
- One flavor – while the chicken flavor is super tasty, it might get a bit boring eating the same thing for every meal
- Contains (1) 28 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food. For a limited time, you may receive either bag while we update our packaging
- Farm-raised chicken
- Natural dog food with added vitamins & minerals
- No poultry by-product meal, filler, wheat, or wheat gluten ingredients
- Safely cooked with the world's best ingredients
This Large Breed Adult Formula Dog Food from Purina ONE has been specially formulated to provide bigger dogs like me with all of the nutrients we need to live a long, healthy life.
Its number-one ingredient is real chicken, and this keeps my muscles strong and able to power me through my day without getting too tired.
Its SmartBlend™ Formula is packed with vitamins and minerals that support my immune system, keep my skin and my coat healthy and shiny, and my eyes looking bright. All of these things are signs of a healthy dog!
This dog food is also a great source of glucosamine and this is particularly good for high-energy dogs such as myself. This is because it offers joint support.
So, I can keep running all day long without causing too much strain to my stifle-joint. This is what you humans would call “knees”.
In fact, this dog food is so good for me that it’s even recommended by veterinarians. Of course, I would usually disagree with whatever a vet says, but for this delicious dog food, I can definitely make an exception!
- Specially formulated for bigger dogs – has all of the nutrients a big dog needs to eat each day
- Contains real chicken – this natural source of lean protein keeps my muscles strong and healthy
- SmartBlend™ Formula – packed with vitamins and minerals that support my immune health, keep my eyes bright, and my coat shiny
- A great source of glucosamine – offers joint support and reduces the risk of me developing stifle-joint problems
- Recommended by veterinarians – it’s so good that even the dog-doctor thinks I should be eating it!
- Only available in chicken flavor – I can get a bit bored of eating the same thing every day and, unfortunately, this dog food is only available in chicken flavor
- One (1) 31.1 lb. Bag - Purina ONE Natural Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, SmartBlend Formula
- This Purina ONE dry dog food features real chicken as the #1 ingredient
- Dog kibble specially formulated for large breed adult dogs with nutrients they need to thrive
- Natural sources of glucosamine offer joint support for dogs
- Purina ONE is veterinarian recommended
One of the things I liked most about this Air-Dried Dog Food from ZIWIPeak is the huge variety of flavors.
With this dog food, I’m given the choice between Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Venison, Mackerel & Lamb, and Tripe & Lamb. Buying a mixture of these flavors will keep me interested in my food and ensure I gobble it all up every time!
All of these flavors also have a really high protein content which mirrors our natural cravings and ensures our diet is kept as close to what our wolf-ancestors eat in the wild.
It’s also grain-free so it’s ideal for any border collie that has a gluten allergy, and it’s got just the right level of carbohydrates to keep us energized without causing weight gain.
This dog food includes some “superfoods” in its ingredients, too. The first of these cold-washed green tripe, which is a natural source of enzymes and probiotics that help to improve digestion.
It also contains New Zealand green mussels that are packed with omega 3 and glucosamine to support joint health.
You’ll also find organic kelp on the ingredients list and this amazing ingredient improves my metabolism, reduces inflammation, and helps to keep my brain and my heart healthy.
This fantastic dog food is suitable for all life stages too, so I can enjoy eating it as a puppy right through to my senior years.
- Wide variety of flavors – ideal for giving me a little more variety throughout the week and keeping me interested in my food
- High protein content – mirrors my natural cravings for meat and gives me all the nutrients I need for strong, healthy muscles
- Limited carbohydrates – I need carbohydrates to give me energy, and this dog food has just enough to do this without leaving any unused
- Superfoods – contains ingredients such as cold-washed green tripe, New Zealand green mussels, and organic kelp to give me even more vitamins and minerals
- Suitable for all life stages – can be eaten from puppy age right through to my senior years
- Expensive – this is a little bit more expensive than some other dog foods
- AIR-DRIED NUTRITION: Centuries-old slow and gentle air drying method naturally preserves food without artificial fillers while retaining nutrients and maximizing flavor. A great choice for the pickiest of eaters!
- LIMITED INGREDIENTS: Recipes made up of 96% fresh meat, organs, and bones, as well as powerhouse superfoods including green mussels, organic kelp, and green tripe. No Peas, Legumes or Potatoes included.
- ETHICAL AND SUSTAINABLE: 100% ethically and sustainably sourced meats and seafoods from New Zealand's free-range farms and pristine blue waters with no added hormones, antibiotics, or growth promotants
- NUTRIENT DENSE: 3 portions of raw ingredients make 1 portion of finished air-dried, meaning you will feed less and your dog will have reduced stool volume. Gives kibble a nutritional boost as a 1 oz. meal topper too!
- MAY HELP PROMOTE: Allergy relief, healthy skin and coat, improved digestion, joint health and mobility, weight maintenance. Provides higher Taurine levels than nutritionally required to promote heart health.
Us border collies love running around all day long, so we need to keep our joints in good condition.
This Dry Dog Food from Hill’s Science Diet is ideal for this as it contains EPA from fish oil and glucosamine that doesn’t only keep my joints well supported, but also keeps the surrounding ligaments strong.
It also contains a balanced set of minerals that promote strong bone health in larger dogs like myself. This means that if I were to accidentally trip when I’m running, my bones and joints would be well-protected.
This dog food contains clinically proven antioxidants too, and these keep my immune system in good working order and stop me from getting sick. These help to keep my digestive system functioning properly as well, and keep my skin and coat looking shiny and gorgeous.
The delicious chicken flavor is irresistible to a meat-lover like me, and it also contains brown rice, vegetables, and dog-friendly fruits to give me extra vitamins all in one tasty meal.
There aren’t any artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors in this dog food either, so I don’t need to worry about accidentally eating anything that’s not good for me.
- Supports joint health – contains fish-sourced EPA and glucosamine that keeps my joints strong and healthy
- Designed for larger dogs – contains a blend of nutrients that promote bone health in border collies and other large dogs
- Contains a mixture of antioxidants – these keep my immune system healthy as well as my digestive system, skin, and coat
- Natural ingredients – made from delicious chicken, brown rice, vegetables, and fruits
- No artificial preservatives, colors, or flavoring – no need to worry about giving me chemicals or man-made ingredients
- Only available in a 30lb bag – this means it will last a long time, but it could take up quite a lot of space while I work my way through it
- A dry large-breed dog food to support hip & joint health from day 1
- Supports improved joint health in big dogs with EPA from fish oil
- Supports your grown dog's joint health with natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones in large dogs
- Made with natural ingredients with added vitamins, minerals and amino acids
Best Dog Food for Boxers Buyer’s Guide
As I’ve said before, us border collies have certain food requirements, so feeding us the cheapest bag of dog food you’ve found in your local grocery store simply won’t do.
This isn’t because we are particularly fussy eaters, we just need to make sure we’re getting the correct vitamins and minerals to keep us in great shape. Just like a human does!
Below, I’ve put together a list of key points to consider when you’re choosing my food. Giving a little thought to each of these will help you find the best dog food for border collies and making sure that I’m getting everything I need from my food every day.
Energy and Weight Gain
We really love running around and playing. There’s a reason we’re used for herding sheep, after all! But, to keep our energy levels up, we need food that contains plenty of carbohydrates. These help us keep active and ensure we can keep running for hours without getting too tired straight away.
You do need to be a little careful when it comes to feeding us a carbohydrate-rich food, though. While they are essential for keeping us energized, if we eat too many and don’t move enough, we can put on a few extra pounds!
To make sure we’re getting the right amount of carbohydrates and calories for our needs each day, there are two things to consider; age and activity level. Below, you’ll find a simple chart that outlines how many calories per day a border collie needs inline with these factors.
|Young, active border collie||1400 calories|
|Adult, active border collie||1000 calories|
|Senior, less active border collie||700 calories|
Feeding us the correct number of calories every day prevents weight gain and, in turn, means that we can stay active without developing any underlying health issues.
We are strong dogs too, and our strength needs to be fed with protein-rich foods such as chicken, beef, lamb, and fish.
These allow our muscles to develop while we’re growing and ensures that they can recover quickly after a day of running around.
Strong, well-developed muscles also give us the power to get to high-speeds when we’re running and, since that’s what we love doing the most, it’s essential to get protein into our diet.
Luckily, most dog foods for border collies are packed with protein, so it’s not too difficult to find one.
Bones and Joints
Running takes its toll on our bones and joints, so it’s also important to make sure you’re feeding us with a food that contains glucosamine and omega fatty acids.
These keep my joints well-lubricated and can prevent certain diseases such as arthritis from setting in and causing mobility issues.
Our bones and joints also need to be supported as we age too. So, even when we’re getting on in years and don’t feel like running around quite so often, we still need to have healthy joints and bones to go for our daily walks.
Skin, Coat, and Eyes
Perhaps I’m being biased here but there’s no denying that we border collies are amongst the most good-looking of all dog breeds.
But, to keep ourselves looking beautiful, we need a dog food that has all of the vitamins and minerals that keep our skin and eyes healthy and our coats looking shiny.
Fatty acids are responsible for doing this, so feed us a dog food that is high in omega 3 and 6. These usually come from fish-based sources and flaxseed, but there are also some other “super ingredients” that are designed to keep us looking and feeling healthy, including New Zealand green mussels and organic kelp.
We don’t ever want to suffer from a stomach upset and making sure this doesn’t happen comes down to what we’re eating as well.
If you feed us a diet that is rich in fiber, such as wholesome whole grains, our digestive system will keep working perfectly.
It will also help us make sure that we can absorb all of the goodness from the food and we’ll be able to go to the bathroom much more easily when we need to.
Just like humans, some of us border collies have allergies to wheat and gluten.
If this is the case for your dog, then it’s really important to make sure you’re feeding them a dog food that is wheat-free and gluten-free.
Finally, we always like to have a range of flavors to choose from. Even if we absolutely adore chicken, there’s a chance that we might get a bit bored of eating it meal after meal.
Choose a dog food that comes in a variety of flavors to keep us interested throughout the week. You’d get pretty bored of eating the same thing for dinner every night after all, and we feel exactly the same way!
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you feed a border collie?
Us border collies do have a little trouble practicing self-regulation when it comes to food, so we need you to split our food into two meals per day.
We don’t mind if it’s breakfast and dinner, or lunch and dinner. We just need a little help controlling the amount of food that we eat at once as this helps us better manage our energy levels throughout the day.