Snoopy didn’t start off being a beagle. It’s just “beagle” is a funny word – Charles Schultz
Snoopy’s dad thinks being a beagle is funny, and he’s right. It is. Every single day is funny and meant to be enjoyed, and thanks to my happy-go-lucky personality, that’s exactly what I do.
I make the most out of every day, by bounding about alongside my humans, exploring all the wonderful scents and sniffs that I can find, and barking gleefully all day.
Having all that fun can be tiring though, which is why I like cuddling up with my humans at night before getting up and doing the same things all over again. But to make sure that I can do all of the things I love to do, I need to eat properly and have the right kind of food.
It’s a good job that my humans choose my food for me because if they asked me what I liked to eat, I’d just tell them that I want to eat all the food, all the time.
As I like to eat so much, I need food that helps me to keep the pounds off, ensures I have enough energy to bounce through the bushes and play with all of my beagle friends, and helps to keep my muscles lean and strong and my joints supple.
And between us, that is my humans and me, we’ve managed to find the foods that I like best of all.
In case you’re wondering what food beagles like to eat, I’ve chosen five of my favorite dog foods so that you won’t have to wonder what your best boy likes to eat and what’s good for him, you’ll know exactly what to feed your beagle.
I’m so excited to tell you about all these delicious dog foods, that I think I’m going to run around in a circle and do some happy barks.
Would you like to join in? You would? Then let’s bark and play and talk about my favorite thing in all the world, food…
Best Dog Food For Beagles
[amazon fields=”B00JN9LVFC” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Royal Canin makes food for all sorts of dogs, but this has been made especially for me. It even has my name and a picture of me on the packet, and as it’s been made for me, it contains all of the nutrients, vitamins, and fatty acids that I need to stay healthy and happy.
And even better, the primary source of protein that Royal Canin uses for my special food is chicken, which I absolutely adore.
Humans often think that beagles bite off more than they can chew, but that isn’t a problem with Royal Canin as their kibble has been designed specifically designed for beagle mouths, so I can happily chew as much of this dry food as I want to, and reap all of the benefits of its beagle specific formula at the same time.
As I have a tendency to eat my dinner as quickly as I can because I love it so much, Royal Canin’s food has been designed to slow down the pace at which I chew and swallow my food, and that helps me to digest it properly.
But as it tastes so good, I don’t mind chewing slowly, as I get to spend more time eating, which is my favorite thing to do.
It’s also packed with glucosamine and chondroitin which are two naturally occurring substances that are usually found in cartilage and bone, both of which help me to maintain an athletic, strong build and keep my joints and bones supple and healthy.
I think Royal Canin also snuck some tasty fibers that help me to feel nice and full in their food too, but I don’t mind as they don’t just taste good, they help me to stay slim and keep those extra inches off my tummy.
- It’s All About The Chicken – Royal Canin uses fresh chicken as the main source of protein in their kibble, and I love chicken and the way that it helps to keep my muscles lean and strong.
- Beagle Needs – This food has been specifically formulated to ensure that I get the right combination of vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids that I need to make the most out of every single day.
- Bite-Size – The size of the kibble might slow down the pace at which I eat it, which helps my digestive system to thoroughly absorb all of the nutrients and vitamins that it contains, but I don’t mind as it’s been designed to be the perfect size for my mouth.
- Fiber-Rich – It also contains a blend of fibers that help to keep my weight under control so that I can be as healthy and happy as I possibly can.
- Tummy Trouble – Some of my friends who have sensitive stomachs don’t like this food as much as I do because it can make them sick, so if your best boy has tummy trouble there is a chance that might make him feel sick too.
[amazon fields=”B07L97GQW5″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Taste of the Wild makes my inner wolf howl with delight, as it’s been made to replicate the diet I’d eat if I lived in the wild and didn’t have a warm, snuggly bed to settle into at night and a nice fire to snooze in front of when I get home after my long, lovely walks.
I don’t know what it’s like to live in the wild, and while I’m sure that I wouldn’t be very keen on living outside, I do like the way the food that I’d eat if I did live there tastes.
Because High Prairie was made to imitate the diet that my wolf ancestors lived and thrived on (and still enjoy), there are no artificial flavors, preservatives, or unnecessary bulking agents like corn, wheat, and soy in this food, it’s just packed with the sort of delicious exotic meats and protein like bison and venison that make me drool when I know it’s nearly dinner time.
And as well as being full of the proteins that I need to stay strong, active and full of energy, Taste of the Wild also adds vitamins and minerals, superfood vegetables, and all of the fatty acids that my immune system, bones and joints, and skin, and coat need to stay in tip-top condition, to their tasty food. Maybe there really is something to be said for the outdoor life after all…
Although, I think I’d probably miss my bed too much to be tempted to try it, so I’ll just stick with the food instead.
- Lots of Lovely Protein – It’s a meat-rich, protein-heavy food that tastes wonderful and makes sure that my muscles stay lean and strong so I can bounce around and have fun.
- Ingredients – Everything that Taste of the Wild uses to make their food is sourced from trusted suppliers, so I know that every mouthful of my food has been made with me and my health in mind.
- Vitamins and Minerals – It also includes all of the vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, antioxidants, and vegetables that I need to maintain my joints and ensure that my skin and coat are always in fantastic condition.
- Made In America – And what’s more, Taste of the Wild is a family-owned business and is made right here in America. You can even call them up and talk about their food with them. Obviously, as much as I’d like to talk about my favorite thing with Taste of the Wild, being a beagle, I don’t think they’d understand a single bark or yap that came out of my muzzle.
- Health Concerns – Some vets think that Taste of the Wild might make beagles’ hearts poorly, so if you’re worried about your best boy eating this protein-rich food, it might be worth talking to his vet about it first.
[amazon fields=”B01NBBT7MA” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
There are so many super-tasty flavors in Orijen, it’s a shame that I eat so fast as it means I don’t get the time to enjoy them all as much as I wish I could.
With everything from wild boar to grass-fed lamb, Yorkshire raised pork and so much more in every single mouthful of Orijen, this eighty-five percent animal ingredient and protein food makes me wag my tail uncontrollably whenever I tuck into a bowlful of it.
The tiny amount of this food that isn’t made up of the meat and protein that I need to be fit, strong, healthy, and active is composed of the superfoods and vegetables that help to boost my immune system and digestion.
Nature has always tasted good to a scent hound like me, so the fact that Orijen is one hundred percent natural and has been formulated to deliver all of the minerals and vitamins I need exactly the way that nature intended tickles my taste buds and makes my nose twitch with delight.
Orijen says that the food that they make is biologically appropriate and is meant to feed beagles the way that nature intended us to be fed, and makes sure that all of the animals that I’d hunt and chase in the wild are delivered straight to my bowl.
All I know about nature is what my nose tells me, but if nature tastes this good, and is this beneficial to me, then my humans and I need to spend more time enjoying it, and less time in the house.
- Eighty-Five Percent Protein – Orijen Regional Red has all the protein that I need to keep my muscles lean, my joints and bones supple and strong and my taste buds happy. It’s a double tail wag beagle food that makes me howl with joy.
- Fifteen Percent Vegetables – And all of the other goodness that nature created to help my diet to keep me healthy and happy is included in the additional fifteen percent of this food that’s made up of fruits and vegetables
- Ingredients – All of the ingredients that Orijen uses in their food are delivered straight to their kitchen in their natural, raw states from sources they trust, so they know what goes into every bite of their food and because they know, my humans know too. And there is no-one in the world that I trust as much as my humans to know what’s best for a good boy like me.
- Tasty… But Rich – Because it contains so much protein, Orjien is very rich and can make some beagles with sensitive stomachs poorly, so if your boy suffers from tummy issues, it might not be the best food for him.
4. Solid Gold – Fit & Fabulous – Potato-Free Fresh Caught Wild Alaskan Pollock – Holistic Weight Control Adult Dry Dog Food
[amazon fields=”B00WUIGNKQ” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
I like to eat, every beagle does and because it’s our favorite thing to do, we tend to put on weight if our diets aren’t strictly monitored and controlled.
But just because something is good for us, it doesn’t mean that it has to taste bad. And as Solid Gold’s Fit and Fabulous uses Alaskan Pollock as its primary source of protein, which makes my nose twitch and my tongue and tummy tingle with delight.
My humans seem happy that Solid Gold’s food is holistic, but I don’t know what that means. What I do know is that it’s good for my entire digestive system, is rich in Omega fatty acids and fish oils so it helps to boost my cognitive and heart health, and keeps my coat nice and shiny.
And as it’s based on a combination of superfoods and protein, it also keeps my muscles and bones strong and helps my immune system to fight off all of the things that could make me sick.
All of those yummy, special ingredients help to make my tummy feel happy and full, and because my appetite is satisfied I don’t need to endlessly search for other treats and don’t have to ask my humans to share their food with me.
Because I don’t, I’m leaner, stronger, and not quite as chunky as some of my other beagle pals are.
- Holistic Weight Control – I’m not really sure what those three words mean, but the combination of ingredients that Solid Gold uses in their food means that I’ve kept my athletic figure and build and I haven’t put the same amount of weight on as my other beagle friends have.
- Protein Fun – The delicious pollack that it uses as it’s a protein that helps to maintain my lean muscles also contains fish oils that are good for my heart and my brain. That means that this food has been made to keep me sharp, agile, and fit so that I can track and follow all of the best sniffs and scents without slowing down or stopping.
- Probiotics and Superfoods – As well as being good to eat, Solid Gold’s food contains an incredible combination of superfoods and probiotics that are designed to help my immune system fight off all of the nasty things that could hurt me.
- It’s a Taste Thing – Even though we’re not the fussiest of eaters, Solid Gold is an acquired taste and some of my beagle pals don’t really like it. The problem is, you won’t know if your boy is going to like it until you put a bowl full in front of him. He’ll either eat it or he won’t.
[amazon fields=”B00TQRK9RM” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
I know it says large breed on the bag, and I’m just a medium-sized boy, but this is as close as Nutro gets to making a delicious dinner that’s designed for my magnificent build.
It’s another one hundred percent natural dog food that uses completely non-GM products and doesn’t contain any of the packing agents and bulking products like corn, soy, and wheat that lots of dog food manufacturers seem to like, but we don’t. And by we, I mean me and my beagle gang.
The best thing that I like about this food is that it uses one of my all-time favorite things to eat, farm-fresh chicken as the main source of its protein so it helps to keep me strong and active and tastes good too.
It’s also packed with a patented blend of fibers and proteins that help to control and regulate my unceasing and never-ending appetite, and because it’s kept in check, I can keep the pounds off and stay lean and healthy.
It’s also been formulated to strengthen my immune system and has all of the vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids that my skin, coat, joints, and bones need in order to stay strong and look good.
And did I mention that it uses my favorite thing to eat, chicken as its protein? I did? That’s alright then, as long as you know how much I like it, I’m a happy boy.
- One Protein Source – As Nutro uses single meat as their protein source, you’ll already know if your boy is going to like it. And even if your boy doesn’t like chicken as much as I do, you don’t need to worry as Nutro comes in all sorts of other flavors (such as deboned lamb) that he really will love.
- Vitamins And Acids And Minerals… Oh My! – Nutro has also packed their food with all the vitamins and minerals and fatty acids that I need to bounce into every day with a wag of my tail and a happy, contented bark.
- Protein And Fiber – I don’t know how it works, but it does. The clever blend of protein, fiber and other carbohydrates like brown rice help to keep the pounds off my waistline and ensure that I stay fighting fit.
- High Fiber Content – The high fiber content can make some beagles ill and it’s impossible to tell who will and won’t get poorly when they eat it. It might be best to take the same approach that my humans took when they first fed it to me, and just give your boy a small bowl full at first and see how well he copes with it.
Best Dog Food For Beagles Buyer’s Guide
I’ve given you a list of five of my favorite foods, and I’ll bet that your best boy will love at least one of them as much as I do.
And while it’s true that beagles aren’t the fussiest of eaters, we do like some foods far more than others, and if we’re presented with them, we’ll gobble them down in less time than it takes us to track down and identify the source of a candy bar being unwrapped.
However, if you were to ask me which food I love more than any other so you can feed it to your boy and watch him dance in a little circle and bark with joy every time his bowl hits the floor, I’d tell you to feed him the same thing that my humans feed me, Royal Canin Beagle.
It was made specifically for me and my beagle pack, and that’s why it’s got my picture on it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Beagle Diet?
Being a beagle, I’m a pretty hardy dog and don’t really need a highly specialized diet.
I like to play and run and so any food that you feed me needs to have a high protein content so that my muscles can stay lean and strong and I’ll have all the energy that I need to go on long walk based adventures and discover all sorts of new and interesting smells, sniffs and scents.
As I enjoy eating more than anything else, ideally I’ll also need a food that can help to keep my weight in check and ensure that I don’t suffer any of the health problems that my propensity for piling on the pounds could lead to.
The only problem that I might start to suffer from as I get older is arthritis, but a diet that’s rich in vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and protein can help me to fight that ailment off and stay in peak physical condition well into my teenage years.