Hello there, I’m a pitbull and I’m here to tell you that having the perfect collar for my fat neck is one thing that really will make my day.
A collar that is too tight will be the cause of a lot of irritation and itching that, if left unchecked, can get a lot worse.
Hopefully, a lot of you owners out there will want the best for me and my other four-legged friends, giving us a collar that will not only keep us safe and secure but will prevent any nasty chafing that could lead to sores and other issues.
As you might well know being a pitbull owner, we do like to chew through things, especially leads and harnesses.
So when it comes to buying your next lead, then you’ll certainly want something that you can count on lasting for many years to come.
Having the right material is also very important when it comes to resisting corrosive elements such as mud, drool, canine incisors and wet weather conditions.
So, what are the best collars for pitbulls like me? What features and materials should a good dog collar be made out of to stand the test of time, weather and chomping teeth? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent dog collar for pitbulls?
Well, if you’re as hungry for info as I am, then you won’t have to worry for much longer, as we’ve got an in-depth article containing some of the best dog collars for pitbulls currently available on the market.
I’ve also provided you with a buyer’s guide that will help you figure out the difference between the good collars and the bad.
We’re rounding this off with some frequently asked questions that should allay some of the anxieties that you humans tend to suffer from when shopping.
1. Pit Bull Collar for Large Dogs
[amazon fields=”B0171H0PAY” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
This first dog collar has been perfect adapted for the thicker necks of pitbulls such as me, with a nice sturdy collar made from tactical-grade materials.
If you need a collar made from the hardest materials on the market, then I can heartily recommend this one, as it will keep me on the leash when I get a bit boisterous in the park – introducing the Pit Bull Collar For Large Dogs.
The extra width that this collar provides will reduce the amount of pressure over the surface area of your collar. This will reduce choking that dogs like us will experience across our delicate throats. It is made from hard-wearing nylon and will probably be the only collar that you’ll ever need to buy.
This collar will handle well on any pitbull, which as you probably already know can be the most energetic and strongest of all the dog breeds.
If a few of us dogs get in a tussle in the park, then our leads can often get tangled which might result in a severe choking hazard.
- A thinner style of nylon collar will certainly be a lot more susceptible to ripping and tearing, resulting in eager dogs like me flying off the leash and going hell for leather into some garden bushes.
- A lot of other dog collars tend to get tangled in each other, which often results in strangulation issues.
- This collar might not be waterproof, but it certainly is strong enough to handle all sorts of tensions that would tear a lesser dog collar.
- This lead has a nice and wide width, meaning that it certainly will go gentle on mine and other dogs’ thicker necks.
- Some other dogs have complained to me that the buckle on the strap really pinches the loose skin around their necks! Not good!
2. Pet Artist Genuine Leather Dog Collar
[amazon fields=”B075SWPQ22″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
This next collar is one that is made from a very soft type of leather, one that will certainly feel nice and cozy around my neck.
This will keep me and other dogs very comfortable, with plenty of room to maneuver but not so much room that I’ll be able to wriggle out of it – introducing the Pet Artist Genuine Leather Dog Collar.
This comfortable leather strap is perfect for taking dogs like me out on long walks. The leather will be very resistant to all sorts of water and wind damage, the heavy-duty collar coming in two different sizes. This collar also looks very stylish and blends in perfectly with my dark brown and grey fur.
This comes with a 90-day guarantee, which doesn’t matter much to dogs like me, but will certainly put your mind at ease knowing that you’ll be able to exchange it within the first few months when everything goes faulty.
If you’re more relaxed, then so are we! Bow wow!
- This collar is made from leather, making it not only the most comfortable collar on this list, but also one of the most durable.
- This comes with a 90-day warranty, which is perfect for those dog owners who want that extra assurance that they’ll be able to exchange their dog gear if things get a little ‘hairy’.
- This has an increased thickness that will be wonderfully snug and comfortable around the neck of most dogs. Pitbulls are very strong and will need that extra rigidity to keep them on the lead.
- You can be sure that this leather handle won’t perish when exposed to the elements such as rain or mist. You can be sure that it will be a solid accessory for you and your dog over a long period of time.
- Some dog owners have reported that it can break if the dog becomes particularly energetic – although this is great news for me and my fellow dog pals!
3. Excellent Elite Spanker Tactical Dog Collar
[amazon fields=”B0716RVP2P” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
This next dog dollar is one of the less fashionable models, although if you’re looking for something more practical that will keep your pitbull on the leash for longer then we certainly will recommend it.
This collar is made from 100% nylon, making it very well worn and durable – introducing the Excellent Elite Spanker Tactical dog Collar.
This collar has been described by its human manufacturers as borderline indestructible, which is perfect for a pup like me that is very energetic and likes to tug very hard on my master’s lead when I see other dogs.
You can also lock the buckle of this collar, giving you that extra security when you are near families and children.
You can better control a dog’s behavior with this collar, although if I’m being honest, us pitbulls certainly get a bad wrap!
The D-ring on this collar will allow you to have your leash at whatever length that you want. When it comes to safety, this is one of the best models on this list, for sure.
- The design of the handle is great to hold, it will not cut into the owner’s hand or the dog’s throat. This is very important for both comfort and safety.
- Having the right control over your dog is extremely important, so having a collar with a D-ring like this will really come in handy when you’re out in a busy park with lots of dogs.
- This nylon leash is incredibly durable – when it comes to a pitbull, the most boisterous and heaviest of the dogs, then having this additional level of support will be incredibly important for the safety of your dog and the surrounding environment.
- You can adjust the width of the leash so that it fits your dog’s neck as snugly as possible. This will avoid nasty chafing and choking that some pitbulls like me can experience.
- Some users have complained that this collar broke off within the space of a week!
4. Ruffwear Front Range Dog Harness
[amazon fields=”B01N21WGAN” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
This next dog collar is something that looks a little different in terms of design and is one of my personal favorites to wear. This collar is designed to be worn all day by pitbulls, rather fitting around the arms and shoulders rather than the neck.
It can withstand a lot of wear and tear, not perishing during excessively wet conditions – introducing the Ruffwear Front Range Dog Harness.
You can very easily customize this collar, so that no matter how big your dog is, you can find a fitness that will be nice and snug. I know that I like to eat a lot of dinners and it is very hard to find a collar or harness that fits me properly – however, this one fits like a glove.
You won’t have to worry about your dog having to get off this lead, as it is designed for maximum comfort, with two leash attachment points for extra stability across the shoulders and back of your dog.
When a dog is walked, having him or her comfortable for the entire trip will be ideal for keeping him calm.
- This is one of the most comfortable harnesses on our list – spreading the pressure across the surface area of your dog’s shoulders and back. The foam strips on the back will also help to keep your dog nice and comfortable.
- This harness is much more accommodating than the traditional neck collar, it won’t run the risk of choking your pitbull.
- You can easily customize this leash, giving you the ability to opt for two attachment points as well as the width of your dog collar, which will be a relief for dogs like me that have thicker necks.
- This will be super safe for boisterous dogs that like to yank on the lead when they see other dogs in the park.
- Some naughty dogs like to slip out of this harness and go wild, chasing other dogs, ducks, geese, and unfortunately children! It is important to have a leash that fits snugly around your dog.
5. Black Rhino Comfort Collar
[amazon fields=”B06XFK1ZJT” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
This next lead looks very imposing, but with its thick nylon neck strap, it will definitely have more than enough thickness for the neck of your pitbull. It comes with neoprene padding, which certainly won’t cause any chafing or sores to appear on the neck of your animal – introducing the Black Rhino Comfort Collar.
This collar will dry very easily, so if your dog likes to jump in the lake for a swim while he’s at the park (I know I do!) then you can be certain that this collar will not bring any of that wetness into your home.
This collar also has a bright trim, so you’ll be able to spot him if you let him off the lead, especially important during those winter months. This lead has a very lightweight design, ideal for your pooch, who won’t want to feel like they’re carrying weight around their neck. You can be certain that it will last you a very long time.
- This dog collar is certainly one of the most heavy-duty on this list, giving you enough strength to resist the extreme pulling and yanking that you can experience from your dog.
- This lead is one of the most resilient, so you can definitely expect it to last you and your pooch a number of months at the very elast.
- The Black Rhino is made from soft neoprene material, which is both very comfortable and also very durable.
- There are 4 different sizes of collar that you can get with this brand – the perfect accessory for all dogs great and small.
- Some of my doggy pals have complained that the underside of this collar is not that soft and can cause them some irritation. It makes me sad to think that there are some of my pitbull pals out there with sore necks!
Best Collars For Pitbulls Buyer’s Guide
I am a pitbull and it is very important to choose the right size of collar for me so that I won’t choke or give myself sores from having the incorrect type of material.
Luckily, as we have seen, there are plenty of collars on the market, ranging from those that fit comfortably around the neck to those that come down over the shoulders.
So, here is a quick guide to what you should be looking for on your next dog collar, arf arf!
Does The Collar Put Pressure On your Dog’s Spine?
Dogs have very delicate tracheas, spinal cords and esophagus. If you have a collar that pinches way too tight, then you can expect to suffer some serious issues, causing your dog a significant amount of pain, as well as making them more agitated.
Make sure that you get a lead that fits comfortably but not too tightly around the neck and shoulders. If you want extra comfort, then we would recommend investing in a full-body harness that goes around your dog’s upper torso.
How Wide Is The Collar?
Having a wide collar is very important for preventing chafing on your dog’s shorter hairs.
If left unchecked, chafing will eventually develop into nasty sores that might get infected and become a lot more serious.
How Secure Is The Buckle?
Having a secure knuckle will be crucial for keeping your dog attached to its lead. Pitbulls tend to pull on their lead as well as run off if they are in the vicinity of other dogs. So it is important to have a buckle that will not snap from repeated tugging.
Sadly, pitbulls like me have gathered a bad rep, so a lot of humans will feel uncomfortable when they’re out in the park without a sturdy leash.
You’ll also want a lead that is adjustable, so you can shorten it in case your dog gets agitated or too playful.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Type Of Material For A Pitbull Collar?
Having the right material is super important for preventing chafing on your poor pitbull’s neck.
I would recommend that you choose a collar that is made from either leather, neoprene or nylon. These are all very durable as well as being extremely soft to the touch.
Some pitbulls are prone to skin disorders, so be wary of materials like nylon as they can trigger an allergic reaction in some breeds.
What Is The Best Type Of Buckle To Have?
We pitbulls are amazing escape artists, we should be in the circus! So if you opt for a collar with a quick-release mechanism, then your dog might end up escaping from its clasp, which is especially concerning around small human children.
I would recommend getting a solid metal buckle, ideally one made from stainless steel, as it is extremely strong and extremely durable.
The stainless steel collars are also very resistant to corrosion from water and will not rust if you use them over a protracted period. I can tell you that nothing looks less appealing than a manky old collar!