Edison, the sleepy bulldog, was resting up for his next trip when he began talking in his sleep!
We don’t know about you, but we Bulldogs think we’ve got it great! After years of keeping it real and making life awesome, we feel like we’re some of the cutest, pudgiest, and most adorable pets on the block!
It’s not just a feeling, either — it’s a fact! Did you know French Bulldogs were the second most popular breed in America in 2020? Yep, no joke! The only pup more popular than us is the Retriever. But they don’t have those glorious fat rolls like us!
Interested in learning about more epic bulldog facts? Us too! Here are 23 amazing facts about bulldogs which prove that we are the bestest breed on the planet. Now let’s get barking!
1. They might call us bulldogs, but we are actually members of the mastiff family. Surprise! Our tubby little legs and cute expressions actually have some pretty aggressive origins. Straight outta England. Who knew, right?
2. If you asked me, Bulldogs are some of the coolest cats (sorry, dogs) around. But other people seem to think this too! Bulldogs have a reputation for being really great family pets. We’re kind, we’re courageous, and we’re really loyal, too. Aww, now I’m making myself blush!
3. Bulldogs like me are some of the most beloved pets in all of Hollywood! Here in the United States, mega superstars like Lady Gaga, Leo DiCaprio, and John Legend all own bulldogs that they love to show off. John Legend even has an Instagram for his pups, affectionately named ‘Puddy the Bulldog,’ ‘Pippa the Frenchie,’ and ‘Penny the three-legged Frenchie.’ Cute, huh?
4. Ever wondered why they call us Bulldogs? Take a guess! Is it:
- For fighting bulls
- For eating table scraps
- For looking really cute
If you answered number 1, you’d be right! While we still love eating table scraps and posing for the camera, Bulldogs like me were specifically built to bait bulls into getting mad. That’s why we have big under bites and tiny legs!
5. Did you know that Bulldogs can have ten different colors and four different kinds of markings? Yep, we’re all uniquely different! According to the American Kennel Club, these markings and colors have to be absolutely perfect for competition. Some of our favorite fur colors are brindle, red, fawn, white, and fallow. You’ll never find two Bulldogs who look the same, and that’s the truth!
6. I almost wasn’t even born! Breeding new bulldogs is really hard to do, especially when our original purpose was snuffed out. Actually, we almost went extinct! When bullfighting stopped being popular, people stopped wanting to have us around. It took some really dedicated Bulldog lovers to keep our breed around, so here’s a shout-out to them!
7. We get a lot of flack for our stinky farts and horrible snoring. Don’t blame us, blame our condition! Most Bulldogs like me suffer from something called ‘brachycephalic syndrome,’ which is a fancy way of saying ‘hard of breathing.’ This makes us really smelly to be around, and sometimes really annoying! If you think that one of us has signs or symptoms, be sure to tell a vet. There are things they can do to help!
8. We’re a huge pain in the rear — literally! Lots of Bulldog puppies have to be delivered by doggy C-Section because they are too big for mom. And we don’t stop getting bigger once we get out, either!
9. We might look like the type to have fun in the sun, but beware! We aren’t very good swimmers. Because our heads are so big and our butts are so small, it’s sometimes tough to keep above water. Just keep a close eye on us when we jump in the pool, okay?
10. Guess what? Bulldogs can break world records, too! In 2015, our friend Otto the Bulldog broke a Guinness World Record specifically for “Longest Human Tunnel Traveled Through by a Skateboarding Dog.” Nope, we’re not lying! Last we heard from Otto, he was living it up in his hometown of Lima, Peru. If you happen to stop by, make sure he knows we said hi!
11. Don’t let our small bodies and tiny little legs deceive you! We Bulldogs can have a lot of height and weight when we need to. Most of us weigh anywhere between 50 and 54 pounds, and are about 16-17 inches high at the withers (a fancy name for dog shoulders). And just think: we used to be even bigger! Most historians believe that our initial height and weight helped us keep our humans safe. Can you imagine a 4-foot tall Bulldog? Me neither!
12. Did you know that Bulldogs have a higher tendency to drool than almost any other breed? You might not want to put us on your pillow, or anywhere else around your bed for that matter. We’ll probably still try and get up there to snuggle with you, anyway!
13. Here’s a crazy one for you: Bulldogs like me were only the 26th breed founded by the American Kennel Club! This means that we date way back to olden days, like 1209! This makes us one of the oldest breeds of dogs in the whole wide world.
14. There’s an old legend for why Bulldogs were chosen to be official bullfighting pups. Back in the 13th century of old (like knights in shining armor old), the Earl of Stamford watched a few of the local butcher’s dogs chase a bull around town. He thought it was so funny that he wanted to do it again. Those butcher’ dogs had no idea what they got started! A friendly afternoon romp would turn into a serious sport and breed of dogs that would last for centuries!
15. Sweetheart, you couldn’t afford us if you tried. Not at market value, at least! Bulldogs like me can sometimes run up to a thousand dollars a puppy, and that’s just for starters. If you want really special dogs with papers and fancy colors and the other works, you’ll need to pay out!
16. We aren’t high maintenance, but you’ll need to give us a helping hand sometimes! We need to have our wrinkles washed pretty frequently, just in case they get out of hand. We also need someone to clean out our eyes for us! But only every now and then.
17. We’ve got our own fanclub! Hundreds of colleges and Universities around the country have the Bulldog as their school mascot. I love being famous!
18. Oi there, gents, and a top of the morning to ya! Did you know that Bulldogs are considered to be the National Dog of England? How’s that for a posh upbringing?
19. Bulldogs have short lifespans, sometimes only 6 or 7 years long. But don’t worry! Some of us can live to the ripe old age of 20. If you give us lots of love, care, and belly rubs, we’ll be your best friend for a really long time!
20. We might have a reputation for being lazy pups, but don’t let pop culture fool you! Some Bulldogs have been clocked running up to 15 miles per hour!
21. If you think that our top speed is fast, wait until you hear how high we can jump! The highest a Bulldog was ever recorded reaching was 7 feet.
22. Our names used to be way cooler back in the day! Before they called us Bulldogs, they called us Bolddogs or Bandogge. Cool, right?
23. We sleep a lot, and I mean A LOT! Bulldogs sleep about 14 hours out of a 24-hour day. Break out the PJs!