Jax a black Lab spotted a baby bird struggling to stay afloat in the water and in a panic. He immediately jumped into the water and retrieved the baby bird gently in his mouth and brought it back to shore for his human to help. The baby bird was able to survive thanks to Jax.
I’m a Labrador Retriever, America’s favorite breed. Of course! What’s more, we’ve held that title for more than two decades. Pretty neat, right? Did you know that in spite of our name, we are not originally from Labrador but from Newfoundland? That’s in Canada. And here’s a little known fact; we were initially called the St. John’s Water Dog. I’m glad that was changed.
We make great housemates who bond with the whole family, and we socialize well with neighbor dogs and humans alike. We are pretty smart and eager to learn, which is why we are able to learn and do so many things. Personally, I can retrieve my Dad’s newspaper every Sunday, which I know he appreciates, and I like to grab Mom’s slippers every morning, so her feet won’t get cold. I’m also very considerate.
Officially the major kennel clubs and professional Lab breeders recognize only three official colors–Black, Chocolate and Yellow, but some of us can be born in a gorgeous silver color. We also have an ability called “gentle mouth,” which means we have complete control over our mouths. For example, we can be so well trained as to pick up a raw egg without breaking it.
And, get this, our fur is almost waterproof, so we are able to remain in the water for hours. Our toes are webbed and our tails work like a rudder. Plus,our thick, double-layer coat blocks out water to keep us warm. I guess that’s why we were originally put to work as fishing dogs. With our waterproof coats and gentle mouths, we were able to assist fisherman with manual labor like pulling in nets and ropes. We stand from 21.5 to 24.5 inches at the shoulder and weigh between 55 to 80 pounds. I like to keep myself trim and strong!
People often say we are too hyper. Thats just because we are slow to mature. Unlike other dog breeds that are considered fully mature by the age of two, we are not fully mature until we hit our fourth birthday. So consider us child-like and forever fun. That’s not too bad, is it? I guess this is why we are not suited to security or “watch dog” work. We’d rather play.
How fast are we? The average Lab can hit a speed of around 30 mph in about three seconds! I love to race, especially when we go out to play. I like to see how quickly I can grab a stick and run back in a game of fetch.
If kept healthy, we can live 10-12 years. The oldest Lab on record was a black Lab named Bella, who lived to an astonishing 29 years old! I plan on sticking around for a while, too.
1. “Heh heh. They will never find me in here! I love playing hide-and-seek.”
2. “Are we going to the dog park? Are we? Oh, I hope so. That’s my favorite place! Ya think Jake will be there?”
3. “Uh yep, This is the life. You feelin’ okay today, Butchy?”
“How about you, Zeke?”
“Yep, me too.”
4. “Okay, this ‘cage’ is cute and a nice shade of blue, but do you really think it’ll keep me in? I guess it does make for a good photo op, though.”
5. “For once, I don’t want to play fetch. I just want to sit here and enjoy this amazing view…Okay, now I’m ready!”
6. “Huh? Did I hear my name? Are we going somewhere? Do you have food for me? What? What? I can’t stand this anticipation!”
7. “It’s Mother’s Day, and my mommy is going to be so surprised when I bring her this flower. I am such a thoughtful son.”
8. “Bucky, are we supposed to be helping out with the chores today?”
“Yeah, but we’re so cute. They won’t force us. Let’s just play out here and pretend we forgot.”
“Sounds good to me.”
9. “I swear I saw the squirrel go this way.”
“Yeah, me too! Squirrels can be so wiley!”
“We’ll get ‘em. Stay focused!”
10. “Quick, Mom, take the picture. Some of us are hanging on by a thread here!”
11. “I am so far ahead of you guys, it’s not even funny! You are timing this, aren’t you Dad? Woohoo?”
12. “No, I’m good. I’ll just stay here while you take out the garbage. Besides, isn’t it Max’s turn? He’s so much better at it.”
13. “Ya know what? After we all managed to get up here; I don’t think this wagon is going anywhere. One of you will have to get out and pull.”
14. “Am I cold? No way! Nothing can keep me from a good hike. Let’s go!”
15. “You wanted us? The gang’s all here! What’s the plan for today?”
16. “How do we get ourselves into these situations? How did we even get up here? Can you guys get down? I don’t think I can get down. Ugh!”
17. “What do you guys want to do today?
“Go get some more milk?
“Oh, obviously, but I mean after that?”
“Laying here feels pretty good.”