It’s no secret that we, dogs, love to eat. Now let me be clear. Our “dog” food is passable, and we’ll eat it when necessary, but what we really want is your food, human food. There is absolutely no comparison. Let me just muse for a moment: bacon, steak, burgers, salmon, basically whatever you guys eat, we want. Just the smell of your food drives us crazy. Ugh, just thinking about it makes my tummy rumble.
How do you know we’re hungry? Some of us will whine (a lot) as dinner time approaches. Others will stand right under your feet as you’re cooking. And most of us will sit beside your chair as you eat, hoping for a dropped morsel or a generous hand-out. Begging is never beneath us.
But here’s the good news! As much as we love to eat, we love you more! A recent scan of our brains concluded that dogs love their owners at least as much as they love food. Out of all the dogs used in the research, 20 percent showed more activity in their reward centers when they received praise, which means that we adore attention from you even more than we do a piece of bacon. How about that?!
1. “Yes! Yes! That piece there would be perfect. I’ll take it!”
2. “Oh man, that is going to be so good. Now to figure out a way to grab some!”
3. “You should have gotten the large! We want some, too! And next time add pepperoni!”
4. “Mom, you might want to add a few bacon-flavored ones…for Santa’s dogs!”
5. “Yeah, hi! Can you please pass the roast beef!”
6. “Didn’t you order sausages with your waffles? Who doesn’t order sausages with their waffles?”
7. ‘Sure, I’ll try a piece. I’m up for anything! If you like it, I’m sure I’ll love it!”
8. “I’ll sit at the head of the table. Hey, wait. Where’s my place setting?!”
9. “Move that a little to your left…a little more. It’ll fit into my mouth nicely.”
10. “Is that good? That looks good. What are they, blueberries? I’ll try some.”
11. “You’ve got an entire bowl! You can’t share just one? Please?!”
12. “Oh happy day! Babies are so good at dropping food. I’m in for a feast!!”
13. “If I just sit here quietly, can you give me just a little piece? I’m not asking for much.”
14. “Wow. What is that concoction! So colorful. Yes, I’ll try some.”
15. “Gosh that smells good. You guys take me to these fancy cafes and all I get is a bowl of water. How about a small taste of…anything!”