Can Dogs Eat Cooked Mushrooms?

As a dog, one of the most fascinating foods that exist is mushrooms. My owner loves to eat them in a whole load of different meals, but that’s not what I find most interesting about them.

The thing that I find most interesting about mushrooms is that you can find them in all sorts of different places.

You can buy them in the grocery store, but you can also find them in woodland areas on walks, and even in the garden during certain times of the year. They are everywhere.

I always want to try mushrooms, but my owner says that I have to be very careful about which types of mushrooms that I eat.

She says that mushrooms are a type of fungus, and eating the wrong ones can be very dangerous, not just for dogs but for humans too.

So it is very important that I only eat the cooked mushrooms that she gives me. So, in short, yes dogs can eat cooked mushrooms, and I’m going to tell you why.

Can Dogs eat Cooked Mushrooms?

As I have said, yes us dogs can eat cooked mushrooms. But it is incredibly important that our humans only feed us mushrooms that have been bought at a grocery store.

Mushrooms have the potential to be incredibly dangerous for all living beings, so being careful when choosing which ones to eat is very important.

We dogs do not understand which mushrooms are safe and which are dangerous, which is why it is important that our humans only feed us mushrooms that they have bought in a store.

A lot of grocery stores will sell a wide range of mushrooms, and pretty much any type of mushroom sold at any large store will be safe for your dog to eat.

All of these mushrooms will also be safe for humans, so when it comes to buying mushrooms for your dog, you should only choose mushrooms that you would be comfortable eating yourself.

While these mushrooms are all safe for humans and dogs, there is one major difference in the way that they are consumed. Humans can eat mushrooms raw if they want to, but dogs should only ever eat mushrooms that have been cooked.

Please note that we dogs should also only eat cooked mushrooms in moderation. We like them but in large amounts, they can upset digestion which is the opposite of what mushrooms are supposed to do.

Can Dogs eat Store Bought Mushrooms?

Yes, we dogs can eat store-bought mushrooms. In fact, we should only ever eat mushrooms that have been bought from a grocery store.

All grocery stores and food markets have a duty of care when it comes to selling food, and they will only be able to sell mushrooms that are safe for human consumption.

As I said earlier, mushrooms that are safe for humans are also safe for dogs, so any mushrooms bought at the grocery store are safe for us to eat.

However, you must remember to cook the mushrooms before serving them to your dog. Us dogs sometimes have sensitive stomachs when it comes to foods that are traditionally designed for humans, and raw mushrooms can upset our stomachs.

We find raw mushrooms very difficult to digest and this can lead to unpleasant side effects including constipation and vomiting.

But when they are cooked, mushrooms are a lot easier for us to digest and they will not cause us any stomach problems. So always cook mushrooms before feeding them to your dog.

Are Garden Mushrooms Poisonous to Dogs?

Earlier on I told you that you should only feed your dog mushrooms that are bought from the store.

You might have assumed that this means that all mushrooms outside of the ones sold in grocery stores are poisonous to dogs, but this isn’t necessarily true.

In the United States, there are tens of thousands of different types of mushrooms. Some of these mushrooms are deliberately grown so that they can be harvested and sold in grocery stores, others simply grow naturally in the wild.

A lot of people believe that you shouldn’t eat any mushrooms other than the ones that you buy in a store because they are poisonous. But this isn’t the reason why.

Out of all of the thousands of different species of mushrooms that exist on US soil, only 1-2% of these are poisonous. But unless you are well-trained in mushrooms, it is impossible to tell the difference between safe mushrooms and poisonous ones.

So it isn’t a case of avoiding all wild mushrooms because they are poisonous, it is instead a precaution in case they are poisonous.

So garden mushrooms aren’t necessarily all poisonous to dogs, but there is a chance that they might be, which is why it is important to ensure that your dog doesn’t eat them.

What do I do if my Dog ate a Mushroom in my Yard?

The best way to ensure that your dog doesn’t eat any poisonous mushrooms is to stop them from eating any mushrooms other than the ones that you give them.

But as any dog owner knows, this is not always possible. We dogs can be incredibly sneaky when we want to, so what should you do if your dog eats a wild mushroom?

The first thing that you should do is contact your veterinarian. Even though the chances of that mushroom being poisonous are fairly slim, it is still best to contact a professional and seek their advice.

This is because poisonous mushrooms target the liver which is an incredibly important organ and one that your dog cannot afford to lose. In most cases, your veterinarian will recommend that you take your dog to their office immediately and they will begin treatment straight away.

If the mushroom were poisonous, early treatment is key to keeping your dog alive. So if us dogs ever eat a wild mushroom, take us to the vets immediately.


In short, yes, we dogs can eat cooked mushrooms and they are actually the only type of mushroom that we should eat.

We shouldn’t be fed them all the time, but introducing a small amount of cooked mushroom into our diet can help improve digestion and allow us to lead healthier lives.